Notification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted and commissioned (more or less – it is in a working state), with a little help from my friends on DIYnot, a Texecom Premier 24 with keypads, proximity tags, PIRs and magnetic door sensors. I’m now considering adding some facility for notifying me remotely, probably on my mobile phone, and a couple of neighbours/friends too, if the system alarms.

I understand that I could do this with a com 2400 relatively cheaply but have been told that the text messaging system available is overloaded and unreliable. I could also use a Speech+Text dialer but in either event would be advised to use OpenTap for text messaging. Another possibility seems to be using a Com GSM with a SIM card.

I would welcome your sage advice on the advantages and disadvantages of these three options.

Sponsored Links
COMMS 2400 cheap and to be honest not had any issues at all but its not 100% guaranteed, but nothing is .... Eg phone line down or mobile network down.... Next option gsm unit around £150 plus either pay as you go or contract sim , problem with pay as you go is if you forget to top up ! Added advantage of gsm unit you can remote arm, rearm, disarm system by text . Depends on your buget

My personal opinion (but I'm far less qualified that the regulars on here) is a voice dialler is more reliable and more likely to get you're attention in the event of a break in.

It's easy for a text allert or email allert to be missed, whereas my voice dialer rings my mobile and untill you answer and enter in a confirmation code it will keep on ringing each phone number programed into it in a loop.

Sponsored Links
True but one contact only outside signal area will at least get a message later on , probably not with a voice dialer...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back