Oak veneer internal doors - why 'stain only' finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks -
I've just bought 11no unfinished Geneva Oak/Oak Veneer doors from Wickes but Wickes state that they must be finished by being stained, ie waxing, polishing, varnishing or oiling is not suitable.

I'd prefer just to lightly oil them but don't want to create unforseen problems. Does anyone know why Wickes make this recommendation?

On a related subject, these doors are really heavy (like fire-door heavy) but only 35mm thick. Would 3no 3" hinges (which I've ordered - stainless steel ball bearing type) be sufficient to hang each of them? 4" hinges seem to get a bit close to the edge of 35mm doors.

All comments much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hi folks -
I've just bought 11no unfinished Geneva Oak/Oak Veneer doors from Wickes but Wickes state that they must be finished by being stained, ie waxing, polishing, varnishing or oiling is not suitable.

I'd prefer just to lightly oil them but don't want to create unforseen problems. Does anyone know why Wickes make this recommendation?

All comments much appreciated!

Wickes and others say similar. (A while ago I was reading the spec. for Jeld Wen doors - google it).

They want the doors to be sealed as by varnishing them or painting then so you seal them from dampness etc. The idea is to stop the wood warping by changes in humidity. In fact they expect the top and bottom of the door (end grain if you like) to be sealed too (fair enough the top ... how do you do the bottom of a hung door?)

You may take your chance with oil but oil does not provide a seal for humidity. (I like oil on oak but my problem would be the dirt from fingers which accumulates around the door handles and the subsequent cleaning of the dirt on what is a thin veneer)

Sorry ... no comment about hinges.

Kind Regards
Charles

Thanks Charles. I thought the problem might be oils or waxes affecting the veneer adhesive. I hadn't considered sealing against humidity. Is this normally a problem in a domestic environment? I guess it could be for kitchen and bathroom doors.

I don't understand why Wickes recommend against varnishing though - I would have thought that this would have sealed the doors better than staining..?

Thanks Charles. I thought the problem might be oils or waxes affecting the veneer adhesive. I hadn't considered sealing against humidity. Is this normally a problem in a domestic environment? I guess it could be for kitchen and bathroom doors.

I don't understand why Wickes recommend against varnishing though - I would have thought that this would have sealed the doors better than staining..?

I see some FAQ like http://www.wickes.co.uk/Geneva-Oak-Veneer-Door/invt/190919

Only guessing.

Solvents in Varnish? Surely not that different to solvents in paints.

I saw somewhere (perhaps this forum) about water based varnishes not to be used on veneered doors (no idea why ... but you might want to search it). I think what you need to clarify with wickes is if
a. they really mean varnish
b. water based or solvent (oil) based substances

Oil and wax could not lift anything (well wax anyway) but perhaps they will attack the man-made board underneath the veneer and cr@p may come out from it.

Read about what other manufacturers say so you have a basic understanding ... but you must ask Wickes what, and why, you can use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - that's sound advice.

Slight delay with the project - five of the eleven doors have to be collected and replaced due to warping and/or damage..! :evil:

Slight delay with the project - five of the eleven doors have to be collected and replaced due to warping and/or damage..! :evil:

Wickes were very helpful about sorting this out (although I waited five hours for a promised call-back), but annoyingly they don't collect and deliver at the same time, so that means two more days of time off work and hanging around waiting for their van to turn up.

:confused:

Hi Mascot, Just wondered how you got on with your doors, did you end up using oil? do they look good? I have the same prob with the same doors. Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back