Oh no!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted five 50W ELV downlighters in my bathroom approximatly ten years ago.

The very first lamp failed today. I cant beleive how frequently these things fail.

What was I thinking? Installing a fitting that fails with this sort of regularity :LOL:

Sponsored Links
worm_on_hook.gif

Sponsored Links
Well, I installed a load at My Ma's place in 1991.

And some of those old open-face THORN branded lamps are still burning just as bright. And NONE of the transformers have ever burnt-out.

Trouble is, some of the lamps are losing their coating, so they'll have to be replaced even though they're still working.

I have 4 in the bathroom been in years and yes each has been changed around once in 15 years however the transformer is an old toroidal type a real brick not one of the modern switch mode types so really does not count.

And I hope it's not taken you all of those ten years to realise that they do a cack job of lighting your room. Silly boy.

so the concensus is then that they don't like the output produced by these SMP's that they use instead of proper transformers?

Your bathroom must be enormous if it needs 250W of lighting.

Either that or you've chosen lighting not designed to do the job of providing general room illumination, which is why you need an obscene amount of it.

Your bathroom must be enormous if it needs 250W of lighting.

Either that or you've chosen lighting not designed to do the job of providing general room illumination, which is why you need an obscene amount of it.
No, he likes to get a good view of his face when he's shaving :LOL:

Mine all run on SMPs.

My bathroom isn't huge but it is well lit. It used to have a batten lamp holder in the middle with a 100W GLS in it.

My bathroom used to be dim and shaddowy and old fashioned looking.

Now it's nice and bright and modern looking with long lasting lighting.

There really is no other light fitting type or style which could possibly do a better job of lighting that room.

Get in the real world. 250W really isn't an obscene amount to light a room

Get in the real world. 250W really isn't an obscene amount to light a room
It absolutely is - it is highly engineeringly offensive. You could do it with less with luminaires designed for the function you are misusing the current ones for.

I manage to light a 4.5m x 4.5m lounge quite adequately with just 3 11W CFL's in the center light..

so unless you've got a rediculously large bathroom then a single 2d in the center should be adequate..
if you really must then a lighted mirror for shaving in can be used.

9 times out of 10 the missus will decide that it's too bright with the 300W of downlights and ask for them to be dimmable, then turn them virtually off and sit in a bath surrounded by a dozen lit fricking scented candles... :evil: :rolleyes:

A 2D is going to look really attractive isn't it :rolleyes: Is that going to be brighter than the 100W GLS that used to be there which wasn't bright enough to light the bathroom?

It also has a slow warm up time and can't easily be dimmed. Downlights can. Thats why they are the best soloution to light a domestic bathroom.

Why not take your crusade to your local theatre? They will use somewhere in the region of 100kW to light a 10m x 5m space.

Why? Because halogen spots are the best most versatile lights available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back