Oh no!

No - they are good for spotlighting, not for evenly lighting a room.

Simple Q - ignore comparisons with different lamp types because that clouds the issue. If you stayed with incandescent lamps, could you effectively light your bathroom with less than 250W if you used a different style?

Sponsored Links
I've never disputed that there are more energy efficient ways to light a room, but that isn't what I'm trying to acheive.

I want a light source which is aesthetically pleasing, instant start, long lasting and infinatly dimmable.

I consider the main selling point of a downlighter to be aesthetics.
I chose them for my bathroom, en-suite and kitchen and am happy with the results. Both the bathroom and en-suite have 11w CFL's and the kitchen has 50w halogen lamps.

Sponsored Links
this thinly veiled attack on BAS is a little unfair as he has only ever stated that downlights in a domestic situation are not designed for the job......and they're not.

BAS....if someone is happy with 250w of lighting (for aesthetic reasons or otherwise) in a bathroom ....just let them do it.

RF....are you being totally truthful about that being the FIRST lamp to fail :LOL:

I swear on my mothers life this is the very first lamp to fail since the lights were installed nearly ten years ago.

this thinly veiled attack on BAS is a little unfair
That's what the children here like to do.

Not enough going on in their own lives that they like, I guess.

BAS....if someone is happy with 250w of lighting (for aesthetic reasons or otherwise) in a bathroom ....just let them do it.
I can't stop them.

I'd have said the whole thread was merely tongue-in-cheek and not a thinly veiled attack as assumed by johnnykc. I also think BAS's response above is very unfair.

if you need to dim them, then you've got too many lights in there in the first place... :rolleyes: ;)

the cfl I've got in the bathroom fitting takes less than a second to come on and is full bright in about 4 seconds..

ELV downlights are only dimmable if you buy the dimmable "transformers" and a dimmer capable of working with them..

you can buy dimmable 2d and fluorescent lights as well..

mains halogens shouldn't be dimmed, it drastically shortens the lamp life.

have you ever dimmed the ones in your bathroom and what's your voltage like when on load?

I have a dimmer so my lights can be nice and bright when you're showering, shaving, shtting etc, not so bright if you're having a relaxing bath, and almost off if you go for a wee in the middle of the night.:cool:

My on load voltage is ~244V at the lights.

This thread was only ever intended as being a bit tongue in cheek :)

so the moral of this story is?

If you need to dim the lights at all times, then you have too many.
If you choose to dim the lights for your requirements, given the situation, then that is fine.
If you are aware that downlights are not the most efficient way to generally light a whole area, but still prefer them for your own reasons (whatever they may be, usually asthetics) then downlights are a perfectly good solution.

Some people may elect to have a domestic lighting solution which gives a better appearance than the stairwell of a multi-story carpark. Just the same way that some people may choose to drive a car which does not have the best fuel efficiency. Its a question of taste and choice. Those who believe that the only the most energy efficient solution is acceptable without considering other design factors should get a grip on reality.

I'd have said the whole thread was merely tongue-in-cheek and not a thinly veiled attack as assumed by johnnykc. I also think BAS's response above is very unfair.

My point is that there are a couple of threads ongoing with an obvious anti BAS theme and because a lot of us find BAS's slightly abbrasive literary style to be unecessary, we have to live and let live.

He gives his view...I give mine...you give yours...thats a forum.

Haranguing a member doesn't give a particularly positive impression to someone looking at this forum for the first time.

That said.........250w of lighting..for a BATHROOM! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back