Ok to mix 2-pipe and 1-pipe in same house?

While you are scouring the internet, can you find anyone that backs up your assertation that convector rads aren't suitable for a one pipe system?

I note that your excerpt edits out the sentence about the article being for solar heating systems - which are not relevant in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Well I can give you the name of two people with "Eng Tech HON FIOP MIP RP" after their names that say you can't but you obviously think different and I doubt if their names are on the internet.
As for the heating system being solar thats irrelevant imo.

What do you make of this statement from our Danish friends Doitall?
Ho hum.. :rolleyes:

One pipe systems usually have higher return temperatures than two pipe systems. With a one pipe system, it can be difficult to reduce return temperatures and it is very important to adjust the flow in the circuit correctly and to reduce the flow temperature as much
as possible.

http://www.elle-kilde.dk/altener-combi/dwload/List_of_problems_030519a.pdf[/QUOTE]

I think you need to do better. :rolleyes:

norcon said:
Well I can give you the name of two people with "Eng Tech HON FIOP MIP RP" after their names that say you can't

yeah and when was the last system installed by them :rolleyes:

there is a big difference between drawing lines on paper and the real world

Sponsored Links
So how many convector rads of the type I described earlier have you connected to a one pipe system then Kev in your real world?

a dozen or so mostly under bar seats
we call them finned tubes

solid fuel as well as one pipe worked a treat

so stick your smartass comments along with your half baked theory

and your so called experts

right up your a** :rolleyes:

Keep it clean guys, or it's end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

And yes I have fitted loads of finrads under window seat etc on a one pipe.

Flow goes in one end and comes out the other.

a dozen or so mostly under bar seats

Fair enough.
So some drunk like yer self sitting on the bar stool wouldn't know if it was working or not.
:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for your comments. They were most enlightening.

I think I learned a few things -
- Most experts believe 2-pipe has clear advantages over single pipe
- Most experts believe single pipe can work well if installed and managed properly - even using a condensing boiler
- There's a clear difference of opinion about mixing 1 and 2-pipe - so it seems to me that it's not worth doing it in my case

Nobody expressed an opinion about zoning the system. I'm sure you guys have opinions about that? On a 1-piper? with a condensing boiler?

I didn't know that you need special TRVs for a 1-pipe system so I need to check up on that. Would anyone care to recommend a suitable one?

Thanks a lot to everyone for the education!
Tom

You can have as many zones or one pipe loops as you like.

Simply a case of splitting the system and adding MV's.

Yes there's a clear difference of opinion, those that know, and those that don't, and unfortunately that is where the problem lies, It's unlikely your engineer will know, and therefore just make a pigs ear of it.

Good one pipe TRVS are the Danfos RA-G15. Do a google for the best price though because there can be as much as £10 difference.

Check also the price is complete with the head.

As for mixing the two, I would guarantee it will work, perfectly well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back