Old back boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 37 year old central heating system.(Back Boiler) Which is working flat out and giving me high gas bills. I had a quote (which has left me reeling) for a new system. The engineer said I have a one way system and all pipework must be renewed. What's a one way system?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the boiler is going to be positioned somewhere other than the start of the one pipe pipework, then replacing is the best option.

Sponsored Links
thats fair comment

but there are many one pipee systems still in use

point i was making is just because its an old way don't make it wrong or incorrect

;)

A one pipe system correctly installed will work just as well as any other system.

The problem is being correctly installed, by heating guys that haven't a clue.

In this case the boiler will be in a different location, and one would need to get the flow and return back the the start and finish of the circuits.

Replacing the lot is therefore the best option.

Well for starters the boiler wont be correctly installed as the system will be full of **** after 30 odd years and it cant be flushed properly

Also it doesnt matter how well it is fitted, balanced etc etc, it will always be less efficient than a two pipe system, if there wasnt a problem other than installers knowlegde, everyone would know how 2 do it by now and 2 pipe systems would never have been needed would they?

Well for starters the boiler wont be correctly installed as the system will be full of s**t after 30 odd years and it cant be flushed properly

Also it doesnt matter how well it is fitted, balanced etc etc, it will always be less efficient than a two pipe system, if there wasnt a problem other than installers knowlegde, everyone would know how 2 do it by now and 2 pipe systems would never have been needed would they?

Best not to comment on what you have no idea ollie.

One pipe systems are still installed, as is a combination of one pipe and two pipes on the same system.

Well for starters the boiler wont be correctly installed as the system will be full of s**t after 30 odd years and it cant be flushed properly

Best not to comment on what you have no idea ollie.

One pipe systems are still installed, as is a combination of one pipe and two pipes on the same system.

My 2 point are correct are they not

Cant be flushed correctly?????????

Not as efficient as 2 pipe system???????????

No, neither is correct.

You can flush the system, but you need to remove the rads to flush them.

A one pipe system just as efficient as two, in fact on low temperature circuits can be more so.

Underfloor heating is only a series of one pipe loops.

The only plus for 2 pipes is it can be chucked in and should work, without too much hassle with pipe sizing etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back