Old back boiler.

Sponsored Links
I have a 37 year old central heating system.(Back Boiler) Which is working flat out and giving me high gas bills. I had a quote (which has left me reeling) for a new system. The engineer said I have a one way system and all pipework must be renewed. What's a one way system?

*******Deleted
You would be a mug to place a modern condensing boiler on an old inefficient ONE PIPE SYSTEM and if you are planning to upgrade the controls to comply with part L then TRV's will be required, therefore, your one pipe system will not work.

The disadvantages of a one pipe system, hence why we don't fit them now are:

1. The first radiator in the system passes it's cooler water back into the main pipe, this has the effect of reducing the temperature of the water and this happens all the way arund the circuit.

This then means the last radiator on the circuit is always cooler then the first. The size the radiators and circuit will determine how much cooler it will be i.e the larger the circuit the cooler the last radiator will be.

2. The pump forces the water around the pipework NOT through the radiators, the radiators heat due to convection currents, therefore, you need radiators the show very low resistance to those currents for the radiators to heat correctly.

Modern radiators are not great for one pipe systems and trv's basicly stop the system working correctly.

Be wary on here as 95% are short course trained idiots, on here to supplement there large lack of knowledge as they have not served an apprenticeship or diy numpties who are too tight fisted to get a professional in. :rolleyes:

The only option is to replace the entire heating system, hell! at the end of the day you have had 37 years out of it FFS.

Advice

Get 3 quotes from LOCAL businesses AND LOOK FOR:

1. Gas safe registration
2. A business address and landline number.
3. Look for CIPHE or SNIPEF registration and ensure min level three qualification i.e ADVANCED PLUMBER status, it will be on their grade card.

This is important as you will ensure that they have served a recognised apprenticeship and will ensure you do not get any of the 12 month trained gas idiots or 6 month college trained short course plumbing idiots.

When installed you should receive,

1. minor works certificate from the electrician

2.The Benchmark should be completed at the back of the boiler installation manual.

3. Registration confirmation from gas safe and the warrenty cover from the manufacturer.

By the way I run a Gas Safe, NICEIC, OFTEC and MCS registered business and have been in business many a year.

So take heed as thats the best advice you will get!

I will await the diatribe from all the short course and BG/SG fannies :D

1CANHELP
Profile Views: 142 views
Friends: 1 friends
Last Update: 3 months ago
Signup Date: May. 26, 2010
Forum: 75 posts

AKA "Redwhiteandblue" from Sflux. (To mention but one of his many aliases)

Sponsored Links
'scuse my ignorance, but won't return temperatures on a one-pipe system be higher than two-pipe? Otherwise last radiators will run cool. With a condensing boiler, I thought low return temp was important for efficiency.

Still bad behaviour from some of you!

If the existing one pipe system works OK, then I can't see why a new boiler wouldn't work with it. Agreed, it will be difficult to clean it out first. One way would be to remove all the rads, capping branches if there aren't valves on both ends of all rads. Powerflush the pipe loop, and each rad individually before refitting them.

You may need to keep the pump speed well down. I think this could be good for weather compensation as well - one pipe systems can lend themselves to low flow temps.

Still bad behaviour from some of you!

If the existing one pipe system works OK, then I can't see why a new boiler wouldn't work with it. Agreed, it will be difficult to clean it out first. One way would be to remove all the rads, capping branches if there aren't valves on both ends of all rads. Powerflush the pipe loop, and each rad individually before refitting them.

You may need to keep the pump speed well down. I think this could be good for weather compensation as well - one pipe systems can lend themselves to low flow temps.

See a man with sense at last.

icanhelp said:
You would be a mug to place a modern condensing boiler on an old inefficient ONE PIPE SYSTEM and if you are planning to upgrade the controls to comply with part L then TRV's will be required, therefore, your one pipe system will not work.

And then we have a load of rubbish from icanhelp.

They sell TRV's for one pipe systems.

It will work fine, and with trv's fitted as well, just that flushing the rads gonna be a pain as they will have to be removed.

I'll be blowed. Never seen those before. Will bear them in mind for the next (rare) occasion that someone wants to keep a one pipe that I'm working on.

Cheers Kev.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back