Old conservatory base built nearly to damp course

I appreciate all the input. I realise it's not a perfect project but I haven't damaged anything other than the concrete up until now. I also accept that temporarily dumping some of the rubble on soil was not ideal. But to be honest, other than a pathway, I believe the rest of the existing patio is going to be full of rubble when I've broken the remainder up and transferred what I've already broken of the sub base. So in some ways it was unavoidable unless we'd hired a skip or probably 8 rubble bags and carted the rubble out to the front to them. We also may have had some difficulty transferring the rubble from a barrow into the skip. We don't have any long timbers handy to build a ramp and I'd imagine you have to be careful as beginners doing that anyway in case you go too far or hurt your back pushing it up?

Sponsored Links
I have responded here to help in what ever way I can but I have learnt stuff just by reading here - mainly don't try and skimp on hiring the bigger breaker.
Its fine to leave the rubble even where it is, the main priority was to stop water getting into your house - you can deal with the rubble another day.

I appreciate all the input. I realise it's not a perfect project but I haven't damaged anything other than the concrete up until now. I also accept that temporarily dumping some of the rubble on soil was not ideal. But to be honest, other than a pathway, I believe the rest of the existing patio is going to be full of rubble when I've broken the remainder up and transferred what I've already broken of the sub base. So in some ways it was unavoidable unless we'd hired a skip or probably 8 rubble bags and carted the rubble out to the front to them. We also may have had some difficulty transferring the rubble from a barrow into the skip. We don't have any long timbers handy to build a ramp and I'd imagine you have to be careful as beginners doing that anyway in case you go too far or hurt your back pushing it up?
Grab hire. Set a loading platform (some damaged ply sheets) at the front of the house and have the lot grabbed away. You may break a sweat sweeping up the remnants.

You're doing fine, don't even bother responding to the stupid moaning. Most on here have forgotten what the Y in DIY stands for, loads of threads are just about paying someone else to do stuff!

You'd have needed to part with big money to sit in your chair while someone else did it. And you get a free workout.
Thank you .

I have responded here to help in what ever way I can but I have learnt stuff just by reading here - mainly don't try and skimp on hiring the bigger breaker.
Its fine to leave the rubble even where it is, the main priority was to stop water getting into your house - you can deal with the rubble another day.
Well yes exactly. At the start I was just looking for solutions to stop the water and had nearly settled on an Aco drain but several possible solutions were suggested and I think self removal was the best one.

Too true about needing the bigger breaker. To be honest the roofer who came around for another job commented that the road breaker probably would have been the most sensible here. But the electric one I have noticed was 29kg in weight without the chisel. Pulling that back up to surface height time and time again after breaking a slice may have been really tiring really quickly. Although even the heavy duty is slow, it's good for more intricate work when I get close to the house wall and the concrete adjacent to the bricks, once disturbed close by with the breaker, near enough crumbled off.
The heavy duty is large enough to use standing up nearly straight and isn't too heavy that it becomes tiring to keep lifting it back onto the surface for a decent duration at a time.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a small batch the last time, this took less than half a day but still worthwhile...

Before (only some of)...
IMG_20201016_081836.jpg

After...
IMG_20201016_160922.jpg

Made dry mix concrete with this lot for under paving. Mixed with a bit of cement in the mixer (with ear defenders!) then compacted in. You can also wet mix with sharp sand/cement or just use as-is in compacted in like MOT Type 1 or whatever. Not frostproof, especially if there are bricks in it, but absolutely fine for use under something else.

Hired one of these beasties for the day...

Last edited:
Bit of a small batch the last time, this took less than half a day but still worthwhile...

Before (only some of)...
View attachment 325324

After...
View attachment 325325

Made dry mix concrete with this lot for under paving. Mixed with a bit of cement in the mixer (with ear defenders!) then compacted in. You can also wet mix with sharp sand/cement or just use as-is in compacted in like MOT Type 1 or whatever. Not frostproof, especially if there are bricks in it, but absolutely fine for use under something else.

Hired one of these beasties for the day...

Which type of breaker did you use to break the original concrete up from where it came from?

Just a cheapo one like this...

It seems pretty unstoppable, it's a good bit of kit. Vastly superior to the SDS drill with a chisel plugged in. But in my case the concrete was only about 3" thick so not as much of a challenge as you have. But have done quite a lot of chunkier things, it always gets there eventually. Must remember to refill the grease in it one day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back