Old fuse box - new ECU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cartridge fuse-box in my 1950s house.

Can I get the local Electricity company to replace it with a modern switch box? I imagine it does not meet current (oops...) regulations?

Cartridge fuses are a pain and resetting a switch (not that I have needed to do it yet) is so much easier - if I need a new cartridge fuse Sod's Law says I will not have the correct one...

Sponsored Links
Hengist said:
Can I get the local Electricity company to replace it with a modern switch box? I imagine it does not meet current (oops...) regulations?

no. anything after the meter is not their responsibility. you have to get an electrician to do it or DIY (thats if you know enough to do this, but since you asked, i dont think you should)

A fully qualified electrician is able to replace the consumer unit. However if you want the MET moved you will have to phone the supply company and ask them to do that.

carlos

Carloss said:
A fully qualified electrician is able to replace the consumer unit. However if you want the MET moved you will have to phone the supply company and ask them to do that.

carlos

you could easily extend the MET if you wanted to...

Sponsored Links
Yes,
i was thinking if Hengist wanted to move the supply equipment as well. A lot of old installations are under the stairs which is usually not very accessible.

carlos

Thanks, Guys,

Carlos - the kit is under the stairs, and is not very convenient if the meter reader comes and we have to clear the way for him...

Andy - not sure what the MET is...

We have some black rubber-insulated wiring and some grey stuff... do I need it all checked-out? This is an ex-council-house... need I say more?

Hengist said:
Thanks, Guys,

Carlos - the kit is under the stairs, and is not very convenient if the meter reader comes and we have to clear the way for him...

Andy - not sure what the MET is...

We have some black rubber-insulated wiring and some grey stuff... do I need it all checked-out? This is an ex-council-house... need I say more?

Cheers,

Hengist.

MET - main earth terminal

if you have black rubber cables, i would recommend you call an electrician to do a periodic inspection report (PIR). there may be other hidden dangers. aswell as if you upgrade just the CU, you could have earth leaks and constantly trip RCD's

Andy - is there a safety aspect to the current - sorry, present - wiring? I have checked with my trusty Fluke meter and not found any obvious problems - but I am a computer engineer not a sparky...

Do an insulation resistance test on the black rubber insulated circuit's. if it reads below 0.5Mohms then i would investigate further. remember to open all switches and remove all loads.. i.e. lamps and unplug everything.

carlos

its generally a bad move to touch rubber wiring unless you absoloutely have to or are ripping it out as this can trigger its failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back