Old Glow-Worm 45-60B

Sorry, brand new from Screwfix.

robert - do you have a meter ?

IF it's a fuelsaver, when it cuts out, the yellow and white wires should see an open circuit if the problem is "wet".

If not and there are 240v between blue and brown and you have 240v to the fan but it's not running - it's the fan windings overheating

try running the fan directly from the mains, see what happens

Sponsored Links
In that case I would hazard a guess that most of the "competent" answers here are wrong - the problem is caused by the fan windings overheating nd tripping the thermal fuse in the windings

But surely that would be a one shot thermal fuse which would not reset?

The boiler does actually get hot. I can hear it boiling away at night when it's quiet. Surely a sealed system should run quietly.

Definitely no fan anywhere.

I'll clear the pipework around the valves at the weekend.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've checked the pipe work, all looks clear. I've attached a hose to the expansion pipe, closed the pump valve, forcing all water through the boiler first. Closing off the rads made clean water flow into the F&E tank and out of the overflow.

I appreciate the difficulty of dislodging sludge and scale and forcing it upwards into the loft. As a very last attempt, is it work £40 on a box of DS-40 before one more flush?

Does anyone think using DS40 to flush of just the hot water circuit for a day or two then open it up to the central heating will help?

Cheers.

Good question but yes, 100%. The system worked fine for years, it's only last 12 months it's been playing up, although most likely it's got worse gradually. I replace the pump and paid full attention to the direction.

I bought some DS40 yesterday and I'm running it though now. Within 8 hours of circulation, all rads now getting very hot. When bleeding, I noticed the DS40 turned green very quick, I believe suggesting it is "spent", so I presume the system was in a mess. The boiler is still cutting in and out but not as often so I reckon another dose through just the water circuit should help further.

How long can I leave spent DS40 in the system? There's probably no point but will it be Ok to drain next weekend if I add the neutraliser now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back