Old Thermostat timer help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or offer any advice with this central heating thermostat. (pic attached)

I seem to be struggling to set the timer on it.

If I turn the top right dial (one with sun symbol) you can hear the thermostat click on and the heating turns on fine. But its then on for good until you turn the same dial back down.

The dial with moon doesn't seem to do much.

I'm after setting the timer so it comes on in the morning for a few hours before we get up. I've tried putting the pins in etc but doesn't have much effect.

We have no instructions and theres limited info online.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
I'd replace it. Do you own the house or are you renting? If renting call the agents and have them come and explain it - or replace it.

If you own, I'd say better to get a new one. You could replace with a Nest or similar so you can set it from your phone too.

Fitting a new timer is quite easy if you are OK to do a little wiring. Just turn off all power and then look where the wires go into the back of the old one - and copy the positions on the new timer.

Does the entire 25hour circular bit with pins rotate, or do the "clock hands" move?
Sorry I've never seen one of these and I'm wondering if the motor has packed in.

Just guessing but with the pins provided you can have on/off periods in the daytime (morning?) and periods in the night/evening, the right hand dials providing independent, but crude, temperature adjustment for day or night.

Both the white disk and the pins rotate.

When I place the pins in Red (Hot) Blue (cold) they rotate and you can hear them click on and off, but nothing happens. I thought that about the adjustment dials but nothing seems to happen with the night one they day seems to control them all.

It might be like dominoman suggested. Time to replace.

Maybe a silly question but can any thermostat work any system or do I have to be carefully in what you get. Don't want to get an all fancy singing and dancing and it not work with and old boiler.

Sponsored Links
Generally yes. Any wired thermostat will work with any controller. They are separate components and all the thermostat does is cut or supply voltage to the controller when it triggers.

If you're going for a wireless thermostat then it is different - but in your case you should be OK with any controller.

Get one that has a 7 day timer. That way you can have one setting for weekdays and another for weekends (when you may want heating on starting later for example).

Something like this would do it. For the sake of thirty quid forget your old timer.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/horstmann-centaurstat-7-room-thermostat/12157[url][/url]

Do you have another room thermostat somewhere in the house or was this old timer placed centrally eg in the hall or living room and expected to look after timing and temperature?

If it's already in a suitable position it should be easy to replace it with a mains powered programmable thermostat, assuming the old timer unit is mains powered. :)

No, only have the one timer, Its placed directly in the center of the house.

I'll have a look at the one suggested by dominoman.

Thanks both for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back