Old wiring colours - is this English?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a very old electric blender that I used for a couple of years with no problem, then forgot about. I've just got it out to use but we must have used the plug for something else.

There are 2 wires: one black and one blue. The lable shows the earthy symbol (2 concentric squares) so there is no earth wire. It says 250v 100w, Type M100.

Which is live and which is neutral?! It says on this website the old colours are Red, Black and Green, so I'm confused.

If this is meant to be on "electrics outside UK" I apologise!

Many thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
my comments are in your other thread on this

This was probably made for the German market originally. If so Black is live, Blue is nuetral, and if there is single pole switching inside it will be the black lead.
However, as the other response notes, its not that much of an issue, as the continental systems do not guarantee L-N polarity. Just unplug it when not in use -but you'd do that anyway I hope! :)
The other give away is if it says '220V' rather than 240 - that is the old continental voltage (of course we are all 230 now, but nothing has really changed, except on paper.) Select a fuse based on the wattage, allowing a bit for motor inrush, and check it carefully before plugging it in for damage to the cable or casing,
Rememeber 10 times as many accidents are with portable appliences and flexes, rather than fixed wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much MapJ. I didn't realise I had posted this twice! I won't be using it, I was going to give it to a friend, so I'll warn them aswell.

Thank you! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back