One daaaaaaamp porch...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This room has plaster hanging from the ceiling and vines growing in.The black stuff you can see is mould...oh, and look at the top of the door frame!

EPSN0019.jpg

Sponsored Links
I hope you are sorting the earthing ;) V operated ELCB sitting there on a TT.....

i know what it is and a bit embassrasing but what does ELCB stand for?

nice picy ;)

Sponsored Links
sorry to drop the bombshell securespark, but i do all my work in cheshire, and with these pics of yours i keep seeing, you're working in the wrong places, or for the wrong people ;)

This was an ancient cottage just round the corner from Alton Towers.

I had a basic safety inspection to do. No meb's to gas or water, high Ze, a VO ELCB & no RCD.

Of course it passed with flying colours!!

My patch is Macclesfield, High Peak, Stoke & sometimes Birmingham.

securespark said:
Alton Towers.

I was there on Sunday with a bunch of mates, us sad gits were admiring the tray and SWA work on air... but noted that the bolts on the banjo tags seemed to have rusted (I thought everyone used brass for these :s )

(we concluded that it wasn't too bad for us unless you started taking pictures of electrical stuff on your days out...)

Adam_151 said:
(we concluded that it wasn't too bad for us unless you started taking pictures of electrical stuff on your days out...)

Surely no one would be as sad as that

hotelsocket.jpg

:eek: :eek:

Me too. I had a good look at all the wiring in the Armoury when I was there a while ago... :cry:

I travel up to alton towers atleast once a year - i have the bug.

I always look over the work while there :oops: I count the substations as I wonder around too :rolleyes:

Look at the size of he motor and SWA feeding it at the river rapids - it has got to shift a vast amount of water! :eek:

Didn't notice the river rapids, but I did notice on the cable cars where it gave some specs, "speed = 4m/s, power = 360hp (x2)" I thought, in electrical terms, thats a lot of power :eek:

(360 x 2) x .746 = 537 Kw = 745A per phase (@100% eff + unity PF )
Assuming they are standard 3ph induction motors

Wrestle them supply cables boys. ;)

Incidentally, what is the biggest motor any of you boys have ever worked on?

Found this on Google
I worked on some of these as an apprentice fitter in the 60's
Some were used in the Norwegian Fiords as Power stations after the war.
JonB

The most common variety of the T2 style tanker was the United States Maritime Commission type T2-SE-A1, a commercial design already being built by Sun Shipbuilding Company for Standard Oil Company of New Jersey. There were 481 of these built between 1942 and 1945. Propulsion was provided by a turbo-electric drive. This consisted of a steam turbine generator connected to a propulsion motor to turn the propeller, thus obviating the need for a large main reduction gear, which would have taken quite a lot of time and machinery to produce, machinery that was already busy making these gear sets for naval vessels. These ships were built by Alabama Drydock & Shipbuilding Company of Mobile, Alabama, the Kaiser Company's Swan Island Yard at Portland, Oregon, the Marinship Corporation at Sausalito, California and the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Company of Chester, Pennsylvania in extremely short production times. The average production time from laying of the keel to completion for sea trials was about 70 days, including 55 in the building ways and another 15 in the fitting out dock. The record was held by Marinship Corporation, completing S.S. Huntington Hills in just 33 days; 28 days on the way and 5 days of fitting out!

These ships were 523 feet 6 inches long, 68 feet abeam and carried a gross rated tonnage of 10,448. Deadweight tonnage was 16,613 and they displaced about 21,880 tons. The turbo-electric propulsion system delivered 6,000 shaft horsepower, with a maximum power of 7,240 horsepower giving a top rated speed of about 15 knots with a cruising range of about 12,600 miles. (The A2 and A3 versions of the T2 had 10,000 SHP propulsion machinery, developing a top speed of 16 knots.) The propulsion machinery was produced by the General Electric Company, Lynn MA; the Elliott Company, Jeanette, PA; and the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company of Pittsburgh, PA.

The T2-SE-A1 tankers were not the first to have turbo-electric propulsion, nor was it a novel innovation. During World War I there were several commercial ships and some naval vessels propelled by turbo-electric plants. In 1938, some tankers built for the Atlantic Refining Company of Philadelphia, PA by Sun Shipbuilding Company were given turbo-electric plants. S.S. J. W. Van Dyke and S.S. Robert H. Colley had General Electric equipment giving them 6,040 SHP and a top speed of about 13.5 knots. Atlantic Refining had five more of this type of ship built.

Largest motor we did was 125amp TP - it was part of a sprinkler system.

There was a huge water vestle which was kept primed at pressure by a smaller pump of only round 10amp per phase I recall. This pump litterally just kept the pressure ready.

If a hose was opened, or a sprinkler head fired, the pressure from the tank would run until a pressure switch triggered the HUGE pump to pump water from holding tank (filled from the river!) direct to the fire system - this pump could keep the pressure up!

There was also an auto start diesel back up pump which would run if the elec failed.

There where pressure sensors all over the building linked to the fire alarm. If any hose was opened, or spinkler head fired, the alarm would sound and the fire brigade called.

For those who don't know, spinkler heads have water present to them at all times. They have a small elongated marble placed in them which prevents water escaping. This marble is designed to shatter at a set temperature. This is why you have to sign disclamers when working in shopping malls and the like! Dont bang your ladders on the pipework!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back