one way switch - 2 live wires, and only 1 neutral?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace one metal dimmer switch for another as the switch in the kitchen that had just stopped working - all other lights working fine on the circuit.

It's more a less a swap of identical dimmer switches i.e. a switch with L1, L2 and Common with a green/yellow earth for another of the same.

Coming into the back were two red wires, which I am 99% sure were both going into L1, with the blue into common, and earthed. By the time I took the screw out holding the red wires in, the exposed copper of one wasn't long enough to work with in the new switch - the "end" was still inside the contacts

What I don't understand is the kitchen should only be a 1-way switch as far as I can tell, but why is there one blue, but 2 reds? So I have tried putting the wires back as they were - 2 reds in L1, blue in common, earth connect but this trips the fuse?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back