Ooops, think Ive made a mistake using Danish Oil, what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, been a long time lurker but this is my first plea for help!

We have had 11 internal doors fitted with new frames/facings/skirtings etc.

The doors are Howdens Oak Shaker, an engineered door. The facings are solid oak but the frame is oak veneered MDF.

We were advised by the joiner who fitted them, that Danish Oil would be the best to treat the doors with, so thats what we did. Only one application so far though to the doors only.

We have discovered that Howdens don't recommend using Oil for these doors, possibly causing delamination and doesn't seal the door properly.

So what do we do now?

The finish with one light application of Danish Oil looks OK but would we risk a second or third?

Do we use a varnish (oil based I assume) to seal over the danish oil? If so, how would the look compare to if we carry on with the Danish Oil on the facings? Also, what to do with the MDF-veneer on the frame?

Maybe I should of read up on Danish Oil before we started.....

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
I once decorated for a customer who had some Howdens solid oak folding doors and I seem to remember sealing them with semi-matt polyeurethene varnish. I had to dilute the first coat with white spirit (a bit like a mist coat with paint) , then two coats full strength. That was a few years ago however.

I would remove the oil you've already applied with white spirit (may take several goes), check with Howdens what they recommend these days and use that instead.

I fear that using white spirit to take off the oil will cause more damage itself.

Is there any thing that can be used just to 'seal' on the Danish Oil and leave a decent finish?

I fear that using white spirit to take off the oil will cause more damage itself.
Why do you fear that? Is there a rational basis to your fear?

Is there any thing that can be used just to 'seal' on the Danish Oil and leave a decent finish?
No, there isn't. (Only more Danish Oil, but if Howdens don't recommend it, there seems little point).

In the end, you need something which will protect the oak and look good whilst allowing a certain degree of cleanablity (greasy fingermarks, etc.)

ASK HOWDENS!

Sponsored Links
Will the white spirit not react with the veneer/glue in the same way as the danish oil may?

Also, have 11 doors to do... thats gonna take ages!

I can't through googling find similar circumstances, but wondered if an oil based varnish or lacquer could be coated on?

You've kind of gone past the point of no return, so if i was you i would put two or three more coats on one door and see what happens. If its worst case scenario you'll only have to have one door replaced. It is true that danish oil can cause delamination because it penetrates deep into the door hits the glue and causes the delamination. Stain would be better as it does not penetrate as far and varnish pretty mush just sits on the surface. I'm not sure though if there would be any reaction between stain/varnish and oil, you need to speak to the manufacturer.

You've kind of gone past the point of no return, so if i was you i would put two or three more coats on one door and see what happens. If its worst case scenario you'll only have to have one door replaced. It is true that danish oil can cause delamination because it penetrates deep into the door hits the glue and causes the delamination. Stain would be better as it does not penetrate as far and varnish pretty mush just sits on the surface. I'm not sure though if there would be any reaction between stain/varnish and oil, you need to speak to the manufacturer.

Ive just called the manufacturer of the oil, they get plenty of calls about it apparently, although its generally once damage has been done, not before!

They say that the reaction between the oil and the door would be pretty much immediate and obvious, so at least the one coat we have put on so far hasn't reacted. Thats quite a relief.

As a what to do now, she says a solvent based varnish would be OK to go over the danish oil but after a rub down with white spirit as per previous comments.

Regarding putting some more coats on as you suggest, they suggested that too, as we have three doors where one face is a cupboard, no real harm trying one of them for two or three coats and leaving for a few days to see what happens.

We have some off cuts of the oak toped MDF, so will test the DO on them as well.

Certainly, slapping some one one door, and seeing what happens, is not stupid.

Ditto, trying one door as a time if trying to wash it off....

Daniel

Hi, I read your problem with interest as we've just had 11 new internal doors fitted (Wickes light pine composite panelled) and our decorator recommends danish oil even though the Wickes website says only suitable for stain or varnish, not wax or oil. Reviews on their website say people have used wax successfully.
I really want a natural looking finish that will be hard wearing but won't darken or make the wood yellow. I'd love to know the outcome of your tests and what finish you went with. All advice gratefully received!

Im far from an expert, and where were at now, even though we got away with it, I think thats all it was - We were lucky.

The doors have three coats of Danish Oil on and do look great, there was no damage to the doors, or indeed the facings (that are oak on MDF).

Would we risk it again? Probably not.

The lady at Colron who we spoke to did say that they get a lot of calls, mostly when the doors have delaminated, although she did tend to sway towards saying it was cheaper doors. Ours were from Howdens and were a good amount more expensive than the likes of B&Q and wickes, so maybe better quality?

I would take advice from any professional decorator rather than hope for the repeat of my luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back