Options to aesthetically improve a shower plug hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
My shower plug hole is chromed plastic and (surprise surprise!) the coating is wearing away and looks pretty awful.
I have NO access to the waste under the plug without significant disruption. The shower tray is tiled in place and there's no access from the ceiling below.
Ideally, I'd be able to carefully unscrew the central spoked 'wagon wheel' and screw in a new metal domed drain cover like a lot of modern shower trays have, but I'm not even sure if this is possible. I obviously don't want the whole drain assembly to rotate and cause any leaks, and without access below this might be difficult. Is unscrewing the 'wagon wheel' a good idea? I assume it's designed to be unscrewed for cleaning the drain, but don't want to go near it before getting confirmation.
What options might be open to me to improve how this mess looks?
If the 'wagon wheel' can't be removed and replaced and some sort of 'cap' isn't practical, then is the best option simply to scrub away the remaining chrome on the plastic so that it's all one horrible off-white, but better looking than before? If so, what's the best way to remove the remaining chrome residue?
Even if the 'wagon wheel' can be unscrewed and replaced, the surround is patchy chrome plastic. That's why I thought a chromed domed cover would be a good solution as it would hide a multitude of sins.
Thanks very much - any advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Pics below:

ww1.jpg ww2.jpg ww3.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's hard to imagine anything coping with that, so you paint it, the bits of remaining plastic coating will continue to flake off.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back