Our wall or neighbour - terrace house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're having our house exterior repaired and re-rendered in places and wondered what we should do about the part of our house that we can't see in our neighbours court yard garden.

Here is a photo of it from online maps:

Our main question is...

1. It'll probably need scaffolding to get over their lean to extention.
2. We can't see the wall
3. Who's responsibility/cost should it be?

Thanks for your help - surely a common problem with terrace houses?

Sponsored Links
Ask your neighbours permission to gain eccess for repairs, he has a duty to allow you to do so by law.

its your wall m8 sorry but i think you gooner foot the costs
id got with a one render from webber and use webber for the patch work too

Thanks guys for your advice.

Right he's using - GRC high performance backing coat www.fibrocem.com

Does it look any good? He's nearly done the front of the house today and it look good so far. Bit worriedhow he's managed to key the bits he hasn't hacked off... ie where the existing masionary coat is his base.

He's used plastic beading at the corner points to get the edges right and he's provided a lip at along the bottom to allow the rain to run off and away from the house. He says he'll paint under the lip with black tar sorta stuff.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but having recently had a damp problem and do lots of reading up about it I wouldn't recommend paint the brickwork below the drip with anything that doesn't allow moisture to escape

why uase that render m8 its made for high impact and why didnt he render under the drips first then fit drips and start rendering soo it all looks the same
id use webber its better all round loads of colours and finishes
i use upvc beads too soo he has done that right then
as for a key he mite of used sbr slurry or a rend aid
or a scrack coat too patch it up then a scrach coat over the top then the top coat
was there drips fitted over the windows (bellcasts) whats the finish then m8
expantion beads fitted if needed

Hi,

I think your first point is what he's done.... he's rendered the house and then fitted drip beads and re-rendered over them. He's going to use tar under this drip bead to finish it off. I must say it's a really good job he's done so far.

He's used the fibrocem as he's experienced with it and gets a good deal on it etc. Seems a similar product to the webber wouldn't you say?

I'm going to post in the painting section to ask about what paint to buy so I get get it ready for the painting of the house.

Thanks

aaarrrrrr seee webber is better a cheeper and its precoloured so you never have to paint it
and the stuff he is using is high impact soo are the local chaves picking on you :p
id use webber or krend much better in the long run and stonger cleaner
easy too use easy too keep clean and its breatheble for damp

Oh naff!

He's done pretty much the whole of the front.... doh!

Surely the stuff he's using is ok? You really don't think it's as good as the webber you suggest?

When it says it's high impact... what's that about? What does it mean?

Thanks

look on the web site m8 its made for graffti and high impact
as for your plasterer/renderer i bet he is loving it LOL
id take it all back and pick a goood mach for the colour you want as webber have **** loads
never paint agen and i stand by that too
use it all the time
as for painting it at the end bet thats going too cost you a bit ££££££
all the beads are fine too use
and as for the bottoms under the drips id have renderd it first set the beads then renderd the rest as useing webber is colourd so it all tyes in
if you are going too use this stuff your plasterer is using then id use a spray unit you can hire one think its about £60/70 per day id have it sprayed in a day
i stand buy what i said webber is the best all round i think
dont get me rong i know how too get a snow white finish on sand/cement and a ivory finish too but if our looking for all round good finish i meen finish upkeep and colour then webber the stuff

the stuff he is using is ok but your paying out for paint now too as if you got webber then its all done for you in the bag just add water get it on finish it propper job done thats it no faffing about painting the bottom then painting the rest of the house
and you saving on the cost of scaffolding too you just need it up the once now youll need it agen for painting as it never looks right done of a ladder
i tend to paint 3bed houses from £400 as i use a spray unit
as its cheeper then a rerender if the old render is on ok
but if i was asked to look at your job then i tend to bring a sample as to the colour you want sent from webber
and all the paper work as to the render you want

Oh blimey!

That's left me in a bit of a pondry now.... he's cracked on and donw loads and it looks a really good job so far.

Hmmm.... what to do. I mean he's charging what I consider to be a fair price - PM and I can tell you the price. And the price includes all the materials and to have it painted too. He's been rendering houses for 20 years so I guess he should know what he's doing? He's local and says that if there's EVER any problems with it then he'll come back and sort it all out.

I just don't know what to say and do now.

Thanks

well its your call m8 i just dont see the point rendering it then painting as with the webber stuff its all pre done for you all in one never have to worry and if your going down the road of painting after then you need a really really good paint 3 coats but its your house and is it in paper saying he will come back to sort it out if the render fails or the paint starts to mess up
just have a look on the webber rend site m8 go from there jewsons stock it and order the colour you want you can even get the bead to mach

You've used it many times?

Is it available from anywhere other than jewsons? How much is the stuff? You said its well priced? Can I compare it to the stuff he's using?

Do you reckon he can apply a coat of webber onto the work he's already done?

Will the webber stuff prevent damp coming in etc?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

its fine to put a coat over his work as for damp its fine too
were in the uk ou at m8 i know jewsons sell it 100% if you call them with the colour and the render you want they will give you a good price on ot too
if you look on there web site then you can pick from the site call them and get the spec ect
style
id say its going to be better and cheeper too
i try too use it all the time m8 when i can i use krend too but webber is the best for ou i think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back