Our water tastes rubbery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And no, it's not a joke...

Can anyone help? A while back, we had a megaflow system put into our house. All was well until about a week ago when the taps in our kitchen started delivering a) hot water from the cold water tap - it eventually runs cold, and our plumber says it happens because the hot and cold water pipes sit together beneath the floor, so the hot pipe heats the cold and b) rubbery tasting water. The plumber says there is no rubber in the system, only copper piping, so he can't see what it could be. The water is also quite cloudy. If we run the cold tap for long enough, it eventually runs clear and tastes/smells normal.

Outside, we recently had the old lead piping replaced with new plastic ones. The council also recently put in a new water meter just outside our front garden. Could any of this be connected?

Sponsored Links
Might be worth speaking to your water co who may analyse your water for you. :D

Outside, we recently had the old lead piping replaced with new plastic ones. The council also recently put in a new water meter just outside our front garden. Could any of this be connected?

if it wasnt you would be wet ;)

not chinese water is it :LOL: :LOL:

All was well until about a week ago when the taps in our kitchen started delivering a) hot water from the cold water tap - it eventually runs cold, and our plumber says it happens because the hot and cold water pipes sit together beneath the floor, so the hot pipe heats the cold and b) rubbery tasting water. ?

Possibly the diaphragm on the expansion vessel has failed; does it have an expansion vessel? If so, the hot water could be expanding up the cold pipe.

The hot pipe wouldn't heat the cold if they had both been properly insulated.

Sponsored Links
Possibly the diaphragm on the expansion vessel has failed; does it have an expansion vessel? If so, the hot water could be expanding up the cold pipe.

Megaflow has built in expansion incorporating a plastic disk, it should not have an external expansion vessel.
But you never know someone may have dropped a clanger again :rolleyes:

Megaflow has built in expansion incorporating a plastic disk, it should not have an external expansion vessel.
But you never know someone may have dropped a clanger again :rolleyes:

Megaflo is occasionally used to describe other manufacturer's unvented water heaters, like hoover is used to describe vacuum cleaners.

They can also lose the air bubble so you sometimes get an expansion vessel tagged on.

The check valve on the multi-function valve should stop the water expanding up the cold supply though, which would demolish my original theory ( if it's put together right).

Probably just tepid water from badly insulated pipes. Water usually acquires an unpleasant metallic taste if it gets to warm.

Megaflo is occasionally used to describe other manufacturer's unvented water heaters, like hoover is used to describe vacuum cleaners.

They can also lose the air bubble so you sometimes get an expansion vessel tagged on.

So if i ask supplier for megaflow i might get another cylinder, and end up paying megaflow prices, i dont think so.

As for loosing air bubble , I must be mislead, coz I have been replacing fairy bubbles on a few megaflows. :oops: :oops:

Sure would not like you to instal megflow unvented in my property :evil:

Thanks - I don't think it does have an expansion vessel- should it? Is replacing the diaphragm a DIY job (or is that a silly question..?). Also, where can I get one? Does this explain the rubbery taste?

So if i ask supplier for megaflow i might get another cylinder, and end up paying megaflow prices, i dont think so.:

It wasn't an installaer that used the term, it was a householder. You're assuming he/she knows the correct terminology.

As for loosing air bubble , I must be mislead, coz I have been replacing fairy bubbles on a few megaflows. :oops: :oops:

Sure would not like you to instal megflow unvented in my property :evil:

Then search the forum archives.
Expansion vessels have been fitted by the manufacturers under warranty where the air bubble has repeatedly been lost. You don't know much about them. It is spelt 'Megaflo'.

Thanks - I don't think it does have an expansion vessel- should it? Is replacing the diaphragm a DIY job (or is that a silly question..?). Also, where can I get one? Does this explain the rubbery taste?

If it is a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo, then it wouldn't usually have an expansion vessel. Having thought about it, I think my expansion vessel/bubble theory is unlikely. You could try topping up the air bubble; you'll find the details in the manual. If you haven't got one, you can download it from the Heatrae Sadia website.

The unwholesome taste of the cold water is most probably due to it's being heated by the hot pipes, due to inadequate insulation. This is covered by British Standards and the Water Regulations.

Have you received the completed installation documents for this? Is the Installer G3 registered as competent to install them? He should have completed the label on the side of the heater, including his registration number.

The water is also quite cloudy. If we run the cold tap for long enough, it eventually runs clear and tastes/smells normal.

This might be entrained air bubbles, in the mains water. If the particles/ bubbles rise to the top of a glass or bottle, then it's air. If they settle to the bottom, then it's entrained solid particles.

In the latter case, it could be limescale particles from the water heater. This suggests a fault with the installation or the check (non-return) valve.

Which is it, air or solids?

Thanks. Just run a tap and it looks like both... there are air bubbles, but also in the top of the glass of water I've just run, there are lots of small black particles, the size of a full stop.

We've got a Pullin Evolution unvented system, if that helps - you're right, Megaflo was a term rather than a brand name, my mistake.

We've got a Pullin Evolution unvented system, if that helps - you're right, Megaflo was a term rather than a brand name, my mistake.

Interesting. I'd never heard of them. They're made by 'Pullin Evolution Cylinders', but are advertised on the internet as "Mega Flow" cylinders by retailers. This is an abuse of the Megaflo trademark, owned by Heatrae Sadia.

They should have an expansion vessel. If one hasn't been fitted, the whole installation is dubious.

It seems Pullin don't have a website, the only literature is here;
http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/asse...volution Unvented Water Cylinder Brochure.pdf

I can only imagine the rubber dots are from the neoprene diaphragm in the expansion vessel, but such particles shouldn't be able to get into the cold water supply.

Can you post some pictures of the arrangement of the valves on the inlet side?

Is there a valve which would allow you to isolate the water heater, whilst still using the cold tap?

Any sign of a CITB, Institue of Plumbing, or similar, Installer's registration number? The mental alarm bells are going.

When was it installed?

I will do, thanks.

It was installed in December, and we've had no problems with it until recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back