Outbuilding - 50% of surrounding land - advice needed

Sponsored Links
if you have any pictures off the house in 1947 you can maybe prove the footprint as in on google earth move the time line

If that extension was pre '48 I'll eat my leotard.

1. Establish the position of the original rear wall pre '48. Talk to neighbours, look at the other houses in the street etc. There are likely to be other more obvious clues like how it was constructed which will likely confirm it approx age.

2. Measure the land area front & rear combined that would have existed pre '48.

3. Measure what you would have left after building your new outbuilding.

4. If the No.3 is less than half of No.2 you will need planning permission.

Nobody on this forum can do this only you.

Simples.

Sponsored Links
it looks like a 60s to 80s extension to me but you cant tell without probing

another point its close to the public highway so will probably need planning any way even iff you can convince them your 1980s extension is 35 years older :mad:

If that extension was pre '48 I'll eat my leotard.

1. Establish the position of the original rear wall pre '48. Talk to neighbours, look at the other houses in the street etc. There are likely to be other more obvious clues like how it was constructed which will likely confirm it approx age.

2. Measure the land area front & rear combined that would have existed pre '48.

3. Measure what you would have left after building your new outbuilding.

4. If the No.3 is less than half of No.2 you will need planning permission.

Nobody on this forum can do this only you.

Simples.

Ok, thanks

Subtract the land area you would have left after building your outbuilding from the land that existed pre '48. If this figure is more than 50% you need permission.

don't understand the logic there, FMT..

if i had 100sqm pre 1948
and i build an 80sqm shed
"the land area you would have left after building your outbuilding " = 20sqm
"Subtract the [20sqm] from the [100sqm] that existed pre '48" = 80
"If this figure is less than 50% you need permission." => 80 is nt less than 50, but i DO need permission for an 80sqm shed on 100sqm of curtilage

I think you meant to say "..more than 50%"

note, your numbered logic is correct, but the bold statement seems not to be an equivalent oneliner - the numbered logic subtracts the area covered by outbuildings, but the oneliner subtracts area not covered by outbuildings

Thanks - I had trouble with the logic too but I got the jist of it.

Can anyone tell me if this is something I am likely to struggle getting permission for? I would want a wooden or brick structure the height of which would be just below the outer wall so it was not visible from the street. I would then slope the roof so that it did not obstruct light from the neighbours garden.

This is the first time I would have ever entered the murky waters of planning.

don't understand the logic there, FMT..

if i had 100sqm pre 1948
and i build an 80sqm shed
"the land area you would have left after building your outbuilding " = 20sqm
"Subtract the [20sqm] from the [100sqm] that existed pre '48" = 80
"If this figure is less than 50% you need permission." => 80 is nt less than 50, but i DO need permission for an 80sqm shed on 100sqm of curtilage

I think you meant to say "..more than 50%"
Well spotted! I was just checking you were paying attention! :p

I'm glad everyone is paying attention:)

I know there are variables that nobody can comment on but does anyone know, as general rule, what the odds are of a planning authority letting us extend beyond the magic 50 per cent number are? Is it less likely to be appoved simply because it has breached the criteria for permitted outbuildings?

Thanks

If you're not using up much more than 50% of what you have left, why bother telling them? Just do it and see what happens.

I think they would look at what actual area was left and how useful it was, one could assume that say for example if you had a half an acre of lawn left is likely to be looked on more favourably than if you had the space the size of a wardrobe left over. Its pretty difficult to know what they're reaction would be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back