outdoor burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would like to make an outdoor burner or firebox. Old wood burners are expensive so we thought that maybe we could build one either out of metal or using bricks. Has anyone done this before? if so, are there any tips or advice please.
BTW we have used a chiminea - loved it! - but it eventually cracked after heavy use.
THanks!

Sponsored Links
Try wearing a jumper. When that's not enough, a jacket or a coat would be useful.

but more responsible than an outdoor fuel waster.

Sponsored Links
how do you know they havnt got a great big pile of scrap would to burn, or have a coppicer who supplies them with a sustainable source of wood?

It can be done quite easily from bricks, although obviosuly it cant be moved around. youre effectivley making a fire pit, with walls on three sides to reflect the heat towards you, and shelter the fire from the wind

My father used to build these from bricks and I helped with the later ones. I say 'these' because there were a number of them over the years of different shapes and sizes and in different parts of the garden, all built from the same old bricks - the same actual bricks! :)

He never used any kind of mortar; he just laid them brick-bond fashion with gaps between their ends to let air in. The most popular shape was circular with a gap of about 60° of arc at the front and about two feet high. If you want something more solid, a builder once told me that sand-lime cement is better than mortar around fires. Maybe somebody on the building forum can confirm this.

The 'fuel' was garden waste. It was the best way to get rid of rotten fence wood, tree prunings and weeds. When the flames died down he covered the red hot embers with weed infested earth and left it for the night. Result: sterile soil rich in potash. :D :D :D

Thank you Thermo and Space cat for your valuable replies.

A brick built area would be great. I will give it some more thought.I am a little concerned about the mortar as you so rightly say

Maybe if i could get an old and worn out wood burner ( recycled of course ) it would work just as well but they are hard to come by.

I bought a woodburning chiminea(horrible name) a few months ago and its an excellent piece of kit when running you get the benefit from 8 feet away. £65 delivered to the door, chinese import.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back