Outside Pressure Relief Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was hoping someone may be able to help, recently I have had major problems with my boiler which is a Worcester 28si. At first I was losing pressure very slowly so done all the usual things checked for leeks, bled radiators and so forth...............................After exhausting all other easy non-professional fixes, I decided to check the outside pressure relief pipe (which I discovered was all clogged with mud/dirt, I have dogs who like to dig, the little S&*ts). So after clearing away said mud/dirt i have noticed that there is a crack/split in the pipe. Now that I have cleared it and exposed the split pressure loss on the boiler is instant.

So after that long winded explanation, I would like to know if there is a temporary fix for the split in the pipe. The gap is too small to fit a clamp. Is there anything else I can use that can seal the split that would withstand the water pressure and heat.

I am not a professional by any matter of means, so if anyone out there is kind enough to give advice please put it in absolute easy to understand words.

:p

Sponsored Links
Your pressure relief pipe should NOT have any water passing through it unless there is a over-pressurisation problem on your heating circuit or the pressure release valve is defective.
DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to block or repair a pressure relief pipe so it cannot pass water freely to outside.
Get a professional in. This part of your boiler is a safety mechanism.

Hi Bolshy thanks for your reply

I fully take on board what you are saying, so excuse me if this sounds ignorant or blonde :oops:

My central heating system has been drained and I have shut off the water. The split is just inside bricks i have added two pics to my album.

Surely this would have water in it when filling the system back up and it would only kick in and expel steam.

It is not my overflow pipe as this sits next to it and this dumps water if system dumps when over 3 bar.

I thought you said it was your PRV pipe. After looking at the picture, it appears to be a CH circuit drain point. You will have to get someone in to cut off the damaged pipework and solder a fresh piece on with a mini drain on it. They will need access to the pipework inside the house to do this.

Sponsored Links
sorry I am a complete nugget/novice (take your pick)

The pipe that has the split it in is the one with the funny looking tap thingy on it haha

Thanks for your help Bolshy I now understand what your talking about but unfortunately cant afford a plumber at the moment to come and cut replace pipe.

Margaret, can you expose the right hand pipe, with the drain cock, inside the building?
If you can, it's really not a bad fix if access is good.
John :)

all pipes go into kitchen under the cupboards I will have a look this evening and find out.

I am not a professional but I can do most things and if i think its easy enough I would give it a go hahaha (though I am not completely stupid if it requires a professional then I will get one in)

Just send us enough pictures and we'll help you along.
With luck, that's just a dead leg to allow the heating circuit to be drained.

Margaret, unless you want to use compression unions to repair this, it will require soldering equipment. A professional will have this repaired in a jiffy. If you can provide access to the pipe and call a reputable independent plumber, it should not cost that much.

Hi

Decided to do a quick fix for tonight with plumbers putty :S has done the job for tonight so having few beers and will look at fixing properly tomorrow.
heating and hot water and pressure spot on so far.
Thanks guys

Now who would dare suggest such a thing :p
Soldering needs a complete drain down, compression fittings less so, and can often be done live ( so long as the water isn't hot :p )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back