Outward opening front door UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need a new front door, are we allowed outward opening front doors in the UK? Any other reason this could be a bad idea? Just need more space in my hall. Ta

Sponsored Links
Yes there allowed, I only know one person with one but there while street was built with them.

Better idea IMHO anyway; the harder the wind blows on it, the better it compresses the draught seals

Sponsored Links
You may have problems with the local authority if the door, when open, obstructs pedestrians using the pavement.

Also certainly a no if the door opens directly on the highway ( no pedestrian footpath ).

Opening the door to callers requires care as they will have to be told to stand back if they stand too close.

If it's raining that hard with the wind in that right a direction it'll fill the porch anyway. Towel solves either

Im after one of those ones with a big handle down one side from top to bottom, any good sites please? Do these doors just click shut?

How much est to fit one please? Ball park, North West England

Mothers front door opened outwards, it had to, or she would not have got out of door with wheel chair, her vestibule was smaller than our house and it could have never opened inwards.

I looked for a new door, and it seems to depend on the amount of glass, fensa or something means if more than a set amount is glass it needs registering, so under that the local builder could fit it, and he was far cheaper to window people.

However if I had an outwards opening door, I would need to exit the house by another door with parcel delivery, when lived in mothers house delivery drivers would knock the door and wait, today they dump them in front of the door, take a picture, then send a text message. So we would not be able to open the door if it opened out.

Im after one of those ones with a big handle down one side from top to bottom, any good sites please? Do these doors just click shut?

How much est to fit one please? Ball park, North West England
Readily available from nearly all Composite Doors manufactures Long bar Handle , 600mm , 1200mm or 1800mm , used with ' Slam locks ' basically as soon as door closes it locks and you need the key ...personally think they are a pain in the a$$. Price will depend on colour, style, size and any added things like letterplates. As a general rule doors with slam locks and handles are upper end of the price ranges. Not available in standard pvc doors to my knowledge ( BUT i could be wrong there just never been asked lol )

I looked for a new door, and it seems to depend on the amount of glass, fensa or something means if more than a set amount is glass it needs registering, so under that the local builder could fit it, and he was far cheaper to window people.
under 50% of the total area glazed the door does not need registering ... must window comapnied wll still provide an Insurance Backed Warranty though. Indeed a local builder could fit it cheaper but going to be honest ( and its not a dig at your builder at all ) ...We go back to n awful lot of doors that builders have fitted and find all sorts things incorrect that make them building regulation fails AND poor fitting ( saying that i've seen some awful window fitters fitted doors too but majority badly fitted are builders or carpenters!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back