Over Door canopy repair advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Manchester uk

I am the owner of a ex-council house that has a flat canopy over the front door to protect from rain. Well came home the other day and some charming soul has removed the weather coating (Think it might of been lead) leaving the old wood bare and exposed.

Anyone know a easy good long term repair or point me in the right direction. I don't want to use a insurance claim as i have a high excess, i agreed pay first. Due to the area insurance is high as it is.

Am I screwed or is there a viable repair possible for a not highly experienced DIY person.
:(

These are not my canopy but show the type i have but mine has had the weather coating stolen off the top. But they left the lead flashing in the brick work above the door canopy.

Sponsored Links
Roofing felt with hot bitumen, get it done by the professional or a low pitch roof with tiles or a thin sheet of upvc bedded on or fibreglass etc

Roofing felt with hot bitumen, get it done by the professional or a low pitch roof with tiles or a thin sheet of upvc bedded on or fibreglass etc

Thank you for you advice I really do appreciate it

Can someone answer these question what would the average cost be for having it roofing felt with hot bitumen and how long would such a job last?

Is there any way i could get a fireproof cover made or a fibreglass canopy to fit over the original wooden canopy. One grey to take the place of the removed weather covering. It would last longer would it not?

For DIY, get yourself a small piece of EPDM, this will be very easy to fit. Or use one of the new self-adhesive felts.

I would not bother with hot bitumen for this small area, and I don't think you will get a reasonable quote for this either. A roofer will more likely suggest torch-on and you will probably be looking at around £150.

You can buy complete fibreglass canopies like these, which may be worth considering

Sponsored Links
The canopy looks fine in the small pics, so if it is still all OK then just re felt it. The felt is not expensive.
If felting looks OK by you, as its flat - its not as if anyone can see it.

Go with Woody's suggestion. USe EPDM as it looks great and will never need doing again.

Felt will eventually go brittle crack (look like s**t) and leak.

Cheers

DaveJ

Thank you for the help and advice given i really do appreciate it.

Do any company make a fiberglass top section to just cover my wooden door canopy, taking the place of the stolen lead cover but retaining the original solid wooded canopy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back