Overflowing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cistern is overflowing and leaking out into the back garden (better there than the house!) My husband changed the ball valve and adjusted the screw so the water storage level was as low as possible, and it worked....for about a month! Its getting worse than it used to be, although it stops for about half an hour if you flush the toilet. Its definitely cold water, as I've been splashed by it a few times. Any ideas on what to do to stop it? We are in a very hard water area, could that be affecting the components inside the cistern? If so, any ideas how to help it? Got to get something sorted out soon, our neighbours are not so friendly any more as the water leaking out is splashing on their window and leaves limescale deposits and they are not amused!

Sponsored Links
Does your ball valve not cut off the water when it has reached the set level?

Should cut off 2 ins below overflow pipe.

Play with it until it does and change the washer as Chris says.

Post back if not cured.
:D

Sponsored Links
Hi
Sorry for typing the message in twice, I lost the first thread somehow. My computer crashed about the same time it was sent in and it claimed I had never sent the message! Computers!
My husband tells me that he has set the ball valve to the lowest that it goes, and it refuses to shut off at a reasonable level, let alone two inches below the overflow. I wish it did, then I wouldn't have the problem! If I hold the valve up, it will shut off, but the level it needs to get too is a good five mm above the overflow line, hence the incessant dribbling. When I played with the gadget this morning I couldn't undo the nut that adjusts the arm of the valve. Seeing as I have no clue what I'm meant to be doing, which end of the screw thread is the nut meant to be to reduce the water level? Dense question I'm sure, but there we go, its nice to learn something new every day. I can't recall whereabouts it is right now but I'll be in the loft having another go at it tomorrow.

I'll tell my husband about the washer idea, and with any luck I can pester him into buying one to test it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back