Overheating and very hot rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo2 80pf. It fires up ok (set on No2, quite low) but after 15 min or so the Rads get really hot and the boiler makes a boiling /Kettling noise and overheats. I switch it to Zero and wait for it to cool down, the pump is running during this time and only switches off when I put the boiler back on. I've had a heating engineer out who's 'trying things' by process pof elimination with a call out charge each time! Is it really that difficult. Any clues on how to proceed would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the boiler thermostat sensor has failed, or become dislodged so that it is not sensing the temperature of the water in the boiler. Therefore it does not turn off the gas burner causing it to overheat and so tripping the overheat thermostat. (The sensor should be inserted into a socket on the flow pipe inside the boiler casing)

Or it could be caused by failure of the PCB to which the thermostat is connected. Unfortunately it cannot be diagnosed remotely without inspection and test by someone suitably skilled & qualified.

Sounds like you have had a numpty look at it.
A straightforward thermostat failure most likely.

Get someone else.

Thanks guys, if it is a stat failure what should I expect to pay to get it fixed.
Feeling a bit suspicious of this plumber now and don't know if to cut my losses or give him a chance to rectify his mis diagnosis.

Sponsored Links
The sensor is quite cheap I think in the region of £20, if it's the potentiometer (temperature selection dial) then that's also would be about £20. The PCB is closer to £200

These are parts prices only and don't include fitting.

Baxi used to offer a fixed price repair for their boilers whatever the problem is and no matter how many visits are required to fix it. It's also valid for 12 months, so any other faults that occur will be fixed too. From memory, the price was similar to a new PCB and included all parts and labour.

Doesn't your "engineer" hang around long enough to make sure what he's done has fixed it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back