overheating

If you dont have any lock at the scrapyard then you could also check Euro Car Parts and GSF Car parts. Both have websites and lots of shops around the country.

Sponsored Links
I know we mentioned it before and we're thinking the hole might be too big, but what about Rad-Weld? Or Bars Leak? Is this a genuine option. I took another look at the leak. The general wet area seems to be about the size of the hole in the middle of a CD. But it's spraying more like a shower head, so I reckon there is a collection of tiny holes. Perhaps Rad weld would fix it? It'd be a lot cheaper than replacing the radiator. And it's a Toyota Carina and not some sort of Turbo engined car that might have problems with blockages from Rad-weld?

There is certainly no harm in giving it a go. I have known radweld to seal a hole in a hearer matrix which was big enough to drain out the water without even the system being pressurised.

Just looking at the Halfords website, and they also sell RadWeld Plus which fixes larger leaks. I guess that's the sensible option and well worth a try. I'll report back later or tomorrow to confirm if it worked or not! :) Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
So here's the latest. I bought 250ml of RadWeld PLUS. Poured around half of it into the radiator and topped up with 1 litre of water and 1 litre of antifreeze/coolant. AT that point the radiator was seemingly full. Topped up the reservoir with the 50/50 premix and about 50ml of radweld plus. Turned the engine on with the heater on full. Let the car run for 20 minutes and voila, seemingly no leak. Miracle! I have to check the coolant level again now once the radiator cools down in an hour or 2 and hopefully I'll be back in business! :) Stay tuned!

Ok. SO i just too the car out for a 1 hour spin around North Dublin. No overheating, no leaking. All, seemingly, good. I checked the reservoir and filled it to the top line. I will check it again in the morning! :)

Looks good. If its going to leak then it will do it when the water gets to its hottest. If you leave the engine running when you come back from a drive the radiator water will heat up a lot more until the fan comes on. Leave it for a few minutes after the fan comes on and if there are no leaks then I think you will be fine.

You could find the leaky 'tube' in the radiator matrix - squeeze it off each side of the leak - then use radweld or whatever as per instructions... Used to work out ok years ago.

Having said that, a radiator repair was actually relatively inexpensive I accidentally knocked both (side saddle) tanks virtually completely off their matrix (fan - rad collision) - Removed rad delivered to local repairer collected in 2 days or so, good job, never a problem after.

http://www.kempstonradiators.com/Me...PROD&Store_Code=kempston&Product_Code=64806Aa
£88 for a recon with 12 mnth warranty - Cheap as chips considering its importance to the engine and yourself !

-0-

You'll never believe this!!!!???

Today the top hose from the radiator started leaking and spraying water out. What were the odds? It's a pin hole size, but I guess I need to change the hose. I'll seal it with Duct tape until I can get my hands on a new top hose? Not sure where to get one to be honest? Halfords don't seem to do them at all, never mind for a 97 Carina E. I'd consider ebay but after checking briefly, I didn't find any there either.
I presume the duct tape will hold it in for a few days anyway, at least?

Doesn't seem to be on either site. I'd also have to hope that they deliver to Ireland. Strangely, Euro Car parts don't have an option to select a 97 Carina? I know 97 was the final year as my car in a 97!

Duct Tape isn't working. It eventually busts through it. Only took about 5 minutes. Wonder why the radweld plus didn't fill it? So I'm grounded now until I can get a top hose. :(

If I let it run, spitting the coolant/water out for 20 minutes, maybe then the radweld will seal it really doesn't seem like a great idea?

I expect the hose is too flexible for the radweld to work.

The only thing I can think of which might work is 'black witch' which is a rubber glue. Not sure where to get it but a scuba diving shop might be your best bet if you have one locally.

I expect the hose is too flexible for the radweld to work.

The only thing I can think of which might work is 'black witch' which is a rubber glue. Not sure where to get it but a scuba diving shop might be your best bet if you have one locally.

Maybe a bicycle puncture repair kit might be a temp solution also?

Yes that would probably work.

Another product is called 'Aquaseal' and designed for repairing RIB boats. You should be able to get it from a chandlers.

Sponsored Links
Back