Paint not covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently painted my hall way magnolia from a brown biscuit colour - I have given it numerous coats but I just cannot get the finish I want.

It looks patchy / sort of chalky and I don't know what to do.

I spoke to a DIY shop who said it could be the quality of the magnolia, so I've purchased his recommendation & he advised more coats and to use plenty of it and still no good... HELP?!?

Sponsored Links
What brand is it?

Some cheap makes (for DIY for example) are so thin and don't cover, even with three or more coats.

Tell us the make etc - it's very likely you may be better off chucking it away and buying some better paint.

The original magnolia is B&Q basics ( which could explain the issue) I have since given it 2 coats of Leyland magnolia, which is what the shop advised as there top seller?!

B&Queue paint as you describe would definitely give you the sort of aggro you describe.

Is the Leyland paint a 'trade' paint? The trade paints are nice and thick and cover well.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is a trade paint. The guy said to make sure I'm generous on the roller which I have been & my second coat is currently drying but it looks like its heading in the same direction! :(

I'm afraid it is the wall's way of punishing you for trying to cover it with magnolia when there are so many so much better colours.

Magnolia is the armpit of paint colours. It'd be banned, if I were prime minister. :)

Abandon it and pick something more interesting?

Haha that's a very good point but I have no natural light in that part & the previous colour closed it in too much so I chose bland to lighten it up which has worked, shame about the bloody patches! :rolleyes:

It's your technique that's wrong. I've used that cheapo B&Q paint and it was really good.

I've also googled / youtubed the technique & cannot see anything different. I have painted most of the house & never had this problem :-/

I agree magnolia is a nasty colour, I tend to always use Dulux Trade 'Candle Cream' for a neutral look (They mix it for you). Like Magnolia but without so much yellowness.

Have you covered all the brown totally now, so you have got a 'solid' magnolia colour (albeit patchy)?

If you've got good coverage but it's just patchy, it could be your technique.

Does it only show where the sun shines throught the window?

It sounds like you've had to put many coats on the walls.

Maybe a light sand down all over then a dust off may help the next coat look good.

Leyland may be their best seller because its the favoured choice of builders and toshers and its cheap, you need to use a high obliteration paint, crown do one and i like Johnstones covaplus.
It could also be that the walls were dirty/grimy before you started, anything with B&Q written on the label is 99% guaranteed to be rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back