paint white on a solid pine bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to buy a bunk bed made of solid pine from IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00102452), and paint it white. The steps I am going to take it:

1) Apply the knotting solution to cover the knots
2) Apply two coats of oil based primer
3) Apply two costs of white paint

Can anyone tell me:
1) Do I need to sand it?
2) What kind of white paint I should use: water based? oil base ? glossary?
3) Any step I am missing here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't tell from thw image what kind of finish it has at the moment.

If it is oiled/varnished it will need a light sand to provide a key (180grit silicone carbide will suffice.

I am not a fan of oilbased paints on kids beds if they are very young. The paint takes months to fully cure- during which time it is releasing the solvents.

I would be inclined to recommend Zinsser BIN- it is shellac in an alcohol base and cures fully in 3 days- touch dry in minutes. It is also much harder than any water or oil based paint. It can be tinted and wont yellow. It is similar to knoting solution so you wont need any of that. Nor will you need primer or undercoat.

The downsides are that it stinks of alcohol however the smell goes very quickly. It costs more. It is hard to get a very high quality of finish because of the rapid drying time.

If you are happy to have roller stipple then apply the BIN with a rad roller and brush. You can aid flow slightly with meths and use household ammonia to clean up. Check with your local decorator's merchant for a suitable roller. The only foam rollers that I find will work with BIN are Wooster, the others just expand in size.

BTW never use 2 coats of oilbased primer- 1 is enough

Thanks opps for your reply.

So your suggested that Zinsser BIN alone will do all the job and no extra step (except possible sanding) needed ?

How can you tell whether it is oiled or other ? I am new to this.

Thanks a lot

Can't tell from thw image what kind of finish it has at the moment.

If it is oiled/varnished it will need a light sand to provide a key (180grit silicone carbide will suffice.

I am not a fan of oilbased paints on kids beds if they are very young. The paint takes months to fully cure- during which time it is releasing the solvents.

I would be inclined to recommend Zinsser BIN- it is shellac in an alcohol base and cures fully in 3 days- touch dry in minutes. It is also much harder than any water or oil based paint. It can be tinted and wont yellow. It is similar to knoting solution so you wont need any of that. Nor will you need primer or undercoat.

The downsides are that it stinks of alcohol however the smell goes very quickly. It costs more. It is hard to get a very high quality of finish because of the rapid drying time.

If you are happy to have roller stipple then apply the BIN with a rad roller and brush. You can aid flow slightly with meths and use household ammonia to clean up. Check with your local decorator's merchant for a suitable roller. The only foam rollers that I find will work with BIN are Wooster, the others just expand in size.

BTW never use 2 coats of oilbased primer- 1 is enough

Sponsored Links
If it has been oiled/varished it will be slightly yellow.

IKEA do sell a lot of unfinished furniture (raw)

BIn is all you need. Probably 3 coats

http://www.trade1st.co.uk/productdetail/All-Surface-Primer/119.aspx

Technically it doesn't need a presand but it wont hurt to lightly sand any existing finish.

If you are going for a colour any decent decorators merchant (not a diy store) can tint it for you.

If you are colour matching there will be a slight difference because the base is white.

You dont need to sand between coats but if you want to use 180 grit silicone carbide. It is VERY hard though.

You need to work fast with it and resist the urge to go over it before it has dried otherwise the stipple will be quite pronounced.

Practice on the invisible parts first- probably easier to paint preassembly

Keep a window open whilst working (or work outside) but the smell will be pretty much gone after 15 mins.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back