painting on lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got the main wall in my downstairs hallway lined to hide a sheen that I had already tried to disguise. I had assumed my failure to do so was because of the paint work left by the previous owner. I stupidly forgot to ask the decorator if I could use vinyl silk paint straight onto the paper (1000 grade). I used silk as this seemed to be recommended for high traffic areas. After 2 coats the wall is still very patchy, as bad as it was before. Is there a simple solution to this, whilst still using silk paint.

Sponsored Links
Did you thin the first coat a little?

No I didn't, I realise now I should have done. Is it too late to apply thin coats at this stage

Friad so..

Thinning it a little allows it to bite into the lining paper as opposed to just sitting on the surface, this might have cuased part of your problems because the absorbant surafce would stop you from moving the paint around easily..it would be sucked in fairly quick and this causes an uneven amount of paint on the surface

Also..did you use a bursh or a roller?..silk is notorious for showing up every single mark on a wall..you might find the solution is soft sheen or acrylic eggshell

Sponsored Links
I used a roller. Yes I am beginning to realize how difficult silk is to use if your an amateur. Could the soft sheen be applied straight or would I need a lot of sanding to remove sheen before I start.

Id give it a light rub down first just to remove any nibs etc..then go straight on with the soft sheen.

thanks, I take I dont need to thin the first coat of soft sheen

You shouldnt have to, but if you think its pulling a bit and dragging when your cutting in then add a drop of water to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back