Painting plastic gutters

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Tilly-1, 23 Jul 2005.

1. Tilly-1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I want to paint our plastic gutters ( some say its best not to ) but if I do I want to use the correct paint, I think i read somewhere to use 100% Acrylic paint, is this right ? and do they need an undercoat first ?
    Thanks
    Lynn

2. nstreet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You'll be creating a job for life, good luck :D

3. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    when i moved in to my house twenty years ago there was a light blue paint on the guttering i hated it
    a mid terrace with black plastic guttering each side yuk :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

now i am not suggesting this as a solution but it worked for me and looking at it now the colour is starting to show through but after 18years not done bad

i used black hammerite cos it was the only black paint to hand as i had bought it for the gate :LOL: :LOL: ;)

4. Zampa

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hammerite!....you have been really lucky to have that stay on plastic...its very hard....too hard normally for something that expands and contracts as much as plastic.

Most straight forward method (and cheapest) give the pipes a clean down..then simply apply two coats of gloss in whatever colour you like..thin he gloss slightly by about 10/15%

You dont need undercoat...its to brittle and wont cope with the expansion and contraction of the plastic....gloss will it has more oil in it.

5. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i am assuming its something to do with the blue paint acting like an undercoat
    i was surprize as you assosiate hammerite with rust not plastic ;)

6. Tilly-1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys, two coats of gloss it is then , for the rest of my life roflmao and 2 make matters worse I'm painting them white, hmmmm
    Lynn

7. confidentincompetent

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No problem! just doing a job old black plastic gutters are being painted white, as zampa says thin the gloss you'll be suprised how easy gloss goes on plastic (as long as you get that moss etc off first :LOL:

8. Tilly-1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I will give them a good scrub first
    Thank you
    Lynn