Painting porcelain -sponging-ragging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm aware I have to prepare the porcelain before painting, so that part is pretty straight forward. The clear solution is well clear, so that is a good thing and I was relieved to hear that. Let me explain why.

See I would like to get the effect of a copper finish, so to get that effect I think that sponging on or ragging off a layer on top of the lighter copper-brown looking paint (which it is originally painted (the bathtub is brand new cast iron one) - so the original colour shows thur but there is texture added with the darker colour sponged on/ragged off .........

Des-Antique%20Copper-6.jpg

What I'm thinking is to go over the top with a darker brown mixed with glaze.... I read somewhere 1 part paint, 2 parts glaze..? ......... I'm thinking that will give me the effect I'm looking for.

So as the bathtub is already a copper brown colour. The solution to get the porcelain ready for painting is clear. Do I really need an undercoat?

An undercoat won't be possible seeing as I want the original colour to show thur to create the effect I'm looking for.

Is that okay - not used an undercoat?

The plan is to give it 2 layers of clear sealer to protect it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back