PAT (testing)

Sponsored Links
if one was working to BS7671 rules
Why on earth would 'one' use a standard for installations when considering the safety of a component? :eek:
One wouldn't. However, I am not familiar with (and don't have access to) the standards for components, and would assume/hope that the 'bottom line' ought to be much the same for installations and unenclosed components, given that issues relating to potential access to live LV parts are going to be the same in both situations. Fingers and paperclips do not change in size according to whether we are dealing with a component or part of an installation!

It might be different for components that are going to be within an enclosure, anyway, but don't forget that BAS and I were discussing the IP rating of ATX PSUs in relation to their use as standalone items, not in any additional enclosure.

Kind Regards, John

And how exactly, when used in accordance with the MIs, would they become part of an installation?

And how exactly, when used in accordance with the MIs, would they become part of an installation?
No-one is suggesting that they would/could. As I though I explained, I was extrapolating from the standard for installations because I didn't have access to anything else, but assumed that considerations in relation the access of fingers etc. to LV potentials would be much the same in all cases.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

When it's pugged in to a fixed electrical installation, one assumes, does not one ?

DS

When it's pugged in to a fixed electrical installation, one assumes, does not one ?
Appliance and equipment don't come within the scope of BS7671 when they are plugged into an installation. Aproved Doc P suggests that 'circuits' may be part of the installation, even if they are plugged into BS1363 sockets, but not appliances/equipment.

Kind Regards, John

Why not slap the sides on you're PC and move on ....... or are you just a PAT testing tease? You rebel :mrgreen:

DS

The point about holes in the power supply is valid. I was given a project in Uni and as part of it the paperwork asked if there were any health and safety issues.

The way it was worded I assumed there were and it required me to find out what they were. We were using a Allen Bradley PLC they look very like a PC power supply and after wading through the manufacturers paperwork I found they were designed to be fitted in an enclosure and the manufacturer stated they were not suitable for use as a stand alone unit. IP rating and fact no tool required to open flap where mains was connected plus no cable strain relief.

However it transpired it was just standard wording and the Uni authorities were unaware that the unit should have been fitted into an enclosure and my highlighting of the error was a major problem for them.

Clearly there are hundreds of power supply manufacturers and to wade through their specs to find if one particular power supply will comply when not fitted in a case is unreasonable.

So in consideration of the uncertain nature of access to live parts plus EMC plus fans plus sharp edges plus clearly designed for the sides to be in place I feel it is reasonable to expect any person doing an inspection and test of in-service electrical equipment to fail a PC with the cover missing.

However considering the complex issues neither would I say some one passing the PC with an inspection and test of in-service electrical equipment was wrong to do so. However I would think they were taking rather a risk as should anything go wrong it would be hard to show it was even electrical to the prescribed standard.

In real terms one would expect the user to fit the sides get it tested then remove them again.

In theroy if we repair any electrical equipment it should be tested and inspected before being returned to service. In practice it is rare to do a formal inspection and test and record the results as required under the IET recommended system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back