Periodic inspection - money well spent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't posted in these forums for quite a while, but wanted to log back in and give a quick update on the home electrics.

Some forum members recommended to get a Periodic Inspection Report, which I had just before Christmas. For £100 (about 4 hours' work), we had all the circuits and breakers tested - quite a detailed test on the circuits.

Having previously added some spurs to the ring and lighting circuits, it was nice to have a professional visit and give the electrics a clean bill of health - hopefully that's it for the next 10 years now!

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
That will be it until the first time you do any more alterations if you don't have the wherewithal to test your work.... ;)

Sponsored Links
all the circuits and breakers tested
That sounds very good. How did he test the MCBs?
Sort of - stillp is having a little dig at your "all breakers tested" statement. At least within the domestic environment, is not possible to test MCBs, so one just has to hope and pray that they continue to work as stated 'on the tin'. On the other hand, RCDs can be tested in the home.

Kind Regards, John

Not having a dig, just wondering if he told you he had tested the MCBs, since if he did, he is not to be believed.

At least within the domestic environment, is not possible to test MCBs,
Can't you just load the circuit with 'a bit more' than the rated MCB current? (briefly of course)
It would take a lot more than "a bit more" to be within the realms of instantaneous operation. (For a B type 3 - 5 times the rated current; for a C type 5 - 10 times and for a D type 10 - 20 times).

The equipment necessary would also be hugely expensive.

It would take a lot more than "a bit more" to be within the realms of instantaneous operation. (For a B type 3 - 5 times the rated current; for a C type 5 - 10 times and for a D type 10 - 20 times).
Indeed - and, of course, one would potentially have to test at the upper current of those ranges, since, for example, a Type B MCB is not required to trip (magnetically) at less that 5 times the rated current - so 160A for a B32 or 225A for a B45.

Kind Regards, John

We would all need one of Photonicinduction's special power supplies in the van!
full

In the van you already have a power source more than capable of delivering enough current to trip any domestic MCB.

In the van you already have a power source more than capable of delivering enough current to trip any domestic MCB.
An AC power source? I'm not sure that testing an MCB with DC would be valid (or desirable - it might get magnetised!), would it?

Kind Regards, John

Dunno, but I imagine you can get injectors that work off a battery.

I can't think why you'd need 100's of A at 230V rather than 12V to test an MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back