Peugeot 206 common faults?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to look at a 2003 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX tomorrow with my grandson with a view to buying as his first car. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for as I don't know french cars too well? Any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
The car should have little corrosion unless there is accident damage, but do expect some corrosion to be present on the rear axle (torsion bar set up.);
Fortunately, items such as brake parts and other service items are cheap, and its an easy vehicle to work on.
The odd point.....the gear linkage has a couple of ball jointed rods that tend to pop adrift, and leave the car stranded :eek: so if the gear lever feels like a pudding stirrer, consider that;
They like to have genuine catalytic converters fitted, so if the engine management lamp is on, beware;
The interiors aren't particularly strong, and the seats tend not to hinge on a 3 door model;
Oil leaks around the cylinder head joint will need attention;
The power steering is electric, so swing the steering wheel, engine on, listening for groaning sounds;
Check all electrical items, especially the rear lamps;
If there's a sunroof, feel for wet carpets, and check the boot area anyway;
Start up from cold, look for smoke- and the engine should settle down to a fast idle quickly;
The clutch isn't the most robust of items, and should have smooth pedal travel and no slipping;
Ask for both keys, and try both using the central locking;
Ask if a new timing belt has been fitted (a new water pump must be fitted at the same time).
If the ABS lamp is on, then vanish :eek: Ensure the airbag light goes out immediately too.
Ideally you are looking for a vehicle that's had only a couple of owners, obviously cared for and unmodified - if there's such a thing!
Be lucky
John :)

Make sure you work through all the gears when you take it for a test drive, the action will feel a bit notchy but it should go into all gears easily.

Try indicator switch by indicating right (turn right) and then make sure indicator switch doesn't return to centre position and then continue to operate left one.

Common problem on Peugeot/Citroen cars when they switched over to more computer controlled devices. Replacement stalk switch around £250.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. The car is advertised as one lady owner, 12 months MOT, FSH and 54000 miles on the clock. Advisories were two rear tyres approaching legal limit and one front brake disc pitted or scored .......if any of that helps with further advice.

Sounds pretty good to me - obviously the MOT test is no guarantee of service history but I'd go for it!
The front discs are dead cheap and easy to replace.....the 1.4 has vented discs of the Bosch design.

35% of French cars fail their first MOT , probably why the French only require MOT's every two years.

Well what a disappointing day! Went to see the car and couldn't fault it and my grandson loved it. So he and his mother (my daughter) decided between them that he would buy it but first my daughter would double check the insurance that my grandson had found previously and priced at £850. Anyway to cut a long story short he had given his home address in York (quiet place)to the insurance company but never realized that as he is a student and living in student accommodation for 2 years at Leeds University then that is regarded as his address. As Leeds has a lot more crime consequently his premium would be £2500. Gutted for him so offered to contribute towards this but he was adamant that he would not accept and said he would put his car- buying on the back burner for 2 years. Oh well.

What a shame! There's no future in buying it and keeping it in York for when he comes home on holiday?
(Spent my further education years in York - such a beautiful place).

Thought about that John but with the expense of tax and insurance I don't think he'd be getting value for his money, also,with him being only 19 and this his first ever car, I suspect he wanted to use it all the time. One good thing that's come out of this is that I know a lot more about Peugeot 204's due a lot to the good advice I've received on here lol.

Last edited:
I say that many students probably insure their cars at home and not at their city centre Uni.

Probably no one would know until it gets vandalised and they try to make a claim.

I have a 206 saloon and a 206 cc as well as 106s, 406 and 407 !

Likely that I will have to scrap my 206 because it has developed a fault not on John's list. And my 406 has the same ailment!

That is leaking power steering. The 206 is on the rack and the 406 on the cooling tubes. Both common faults I am told.

Tony

These days insurers are using every trick to get out of paying claims so using your home address or insuring in your mum's name is not a good idea

Sponsored Links
Back