Picture of the week™

Is the new main earth continuous from the lead sheath? Looks like it goes from lead sheath to STA (Steel Tape Armourings lugged then from STA to CU. I would prefer to see it the other way round.

Also, in the original picture, is that earth conductor going into the cutout or behind the board? - It's gone on the revamp, which is a very neat job I might add!

Sponsored Links
GaryMo said:
Am I wrong in what I do then?

In an installation like this I normally fix a 6 way external earth block then connect a 16mm earth between it and the BS951 clamp.
I would then connect another 16mm earth between the new MET to the consumer unit.
Equipotential bonding condutors would also terminate into this external MET.
I would then fix a pre-made label by the side of it.

According to the NICEIC this is how it could be done, but they state that there should also be permanent labels affixed next to your new MET for the identification of Main Bonding conductors (See NICEIC publication Earthing and Bonding Snags and Solutions) Overkill I know but their interpretation of the regs !

As has already been said, lubbly job, could be in the Tate Modern to be sure. Much neater than the Isolator/Henley's cat method. :)

It's fed from the load side of the top board main switch, so there is a single point of isolation.

Fair enough there's a single point of isolation as per regs, but what if you wanted to work on the top board but leave the Heating board with power?? Did you use the stacking/cable kit from MK, RF? Just curious..

Sponsored Links
Fair enough there's a single point of isolation as per regs, but what if you wanted to work on the top board but leave the Heating board with power?? Did you use the stacking/cable kit from MK, RF? Just curious..

What possible circumstances could nessecitate you needing to keep the heating powered up while you are working on the power / lights?

No, I didn't use the stacking kit, just butted the CUs upto one another.

Ricicle wins a gold star :LOL:

The crabtree CU has its live fed direct from the henley block, yet it's neutral is fed from the load side of the hager CU.

Switching off the main switch in the hager CU stops all the heaters in the place, and they appear dead, but they have really just lost their neutral, and really remain live.

Not good.

This is a 100 amp single phase supply - I would question with all that heating load if it should not be 3 phase.

I hardly think that 4no. 3kW heaters warrants a TP supply. :rolleyes:

Thats not alot more than an electric shower. Do you recommend a TP supply every time a shower is installed :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back