Picture of the week™

equitum said:
514-13-01 " A permenent label to BS951 with the words "Safety Electrical Connection - Do Not Remove" shall be permanently fixed in a visible position at or near:
(i) the point of connection of every earthing conductor to an earth electrode"

Thought that (i) was to do with earth electrodes such as in TT supplies?

Sponsored Links
equitum said:
RF Lighting said:
The suppliers cable and therefore the suppliers MET is governed by the ESQCR regs, not BS7671.

Not so.

514-13-01 " A permenent label to BS951 with the words "Safety Electrical Connection - Do Not Remove" shall be permanently fixed in a visible position at or near:
(i) the point of connection of every earthing conductor to an earth electrode"

The nice new 16mm EC you have connected to the MET definately applies to the above regulation.

As Spark123 has allready said, that regulation applies to earth electrodes, which this MET is not.

Next Inspection label

It is affixed to the inside of the CU lid along with the 'test RCD quarterly' and 'how to reset a device' stickers.

Being inside in my opinion does not comply as that is not a "prominent" position. Better to have it on the outside where the customer may actually notice it from time to time.

Well in my opinion it does comply. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this

and Circuit schedule ?

The photo was taken upon completion of the installation work. I type up the schedules and test certificates on the computer once the installation work is finished.

A printed out, laminated schedule is much neater and more durable, and also has company details on it :D

Maybe so, but as the work was completed the absence of the above was a departure from BS7671. ;)

Not the work was not completed. The physical installation work was completed, but the job is not completed until I submit the invoice, AFTER the schedules and certificates have been prepared.

RF Lighting said:
Being inside in my opinion does not comply as that is not a "prominent" position. Better to have it on the outside where the customer may actually notice it from time to time.

Well in my opinion it does comply. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

MK obviously think that inside the lid is a good place too, as that is where the instructions state they should be and MK also put 3 raised borders on the lid that are conveniently the same size as the labels supplied... (shame that every time I fit the labels they are always wonky though :cry: )

Very tidy job!

How do you isolate the supply to install the new CU when there is no main switch for the lot?

Sponsored Links
Emergency Power Off

p4618487_l.jpg

I'll admit I'm being picky on the next inspection label inside the CU....

But I'm still convinced the Earthing Conductor needs a label, perhaps if we looked at 514-13-01 para (iii) where it is a requirement to label the MET, where separate from main switchgear, which, in this instance, it is.

Furthermore 542-03-03

" The connection of an earthing conductor to an earth electrode or other means of earthing shall be soundly made.........and labelled in accordance with Regulation 514-13-01....."

Exactly how many jobs have you been on where there has been a label where the main earth connects to the MET?

I can't think of any (Apart from the one in my first pic which has been severely bodged anyway)

The number I have seen is irelavent, I am just stating that I believe there is a regulation that states a label is required.

Am I wrong in what I do then?

In an installation like this I normally fix a 6 way external earth block then connect a 16mm earth between it and the BS951 clamp.
I would then connect another 16mm earth between the new MET to the consumer unit.
Equipotential bonding condutors would also terminate into this external MET.
I would then fix a pre-made label by the side of it.

Apologies Gary!

Am aware you could have pulled the fuse but thought you had to get the DNO to come and sort it out for you. My mistake!

Bongos, you were right. Gary was joking (I think)

(I certainly was!)

I'm no spark but just couln't see how you could isolate the system without pulling the fuse and as it didn't look like it had been pulled I assumed it hadn't!

You are not really supposed to remove it without permission from the electricity company (as it is afterall, their property), in the real world what happens is unless its an old one liable to drop apart as its pulled, or its in an area where the local company throw a right wobby over it, the spark will simply cut the load, chop the seals and remove the fuse

(not really suppose to move them onto a new board either.... ;) )

bongos said:
Apologies Gary!

Am aware you could have pulled the fuse but thought you had to get the DNO to come and sort it out for you. My mistake!

I think we both know what happens in the real world ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back