Pilot will not re-light. Gas valve problem??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Today, I was stupidly hoovering around the outside case of the boiler, clearing dust and fluff from the vents. The airflow caused by the hoover caused the pilot to go out, now the **** thing won't re-light. There is piezo spark, but no gas comes out of pilot when start button held in. The boiler is an old Saunier Duval SD223c combi wall boiler. I have realised today looking at forums that Saunier Duvals are not very popular with the professionals!! This boiler is approx 18 years old and I've never had any serious problems with it, but in the last few months I've been thinking about replacing it. I just want to get it fixed now (we're getting cold!) and get a new replacement boiler system (not SD!) in the spring.
Any helpful suggestions about waht the problem maybe will be much appreciated plus, does anyone know of/recommend a Saunier Duval CORGI expert able to visit in Paddington W2 ASAP?
chris

Sponsored Links
For the professionals, as a hovering nearby blew the pilot out, it must be a conventional NON room sealed model.

I never knew they existed until I sent one of our engineers to one with a fault. Oddly enough I think that one was in Padington as well!

They are not popular with professionals because the boilers have a propensity to leak. It has been suggested that the makers would have been better making showers!

Tony Glazier

Could be just a duff thermo couple, very easy and cheap to replace.

i dont think its the thermocouple, i would say that the primary jet in the pilot is fouled with dust etc, a simple boiler service will sort it out, You should leave the boiler for 10min before trying to relight,

Sponsored Links
I saw my first one a couple of weeks ago, funnily enough it was leaking. Can you not get a match to the pilot injector?, much easier than messing with piddly spark generators which is probably sparking across the wrong points. pray to god that the inlet valve operating pin is in the correct position, boiler has to come off the wall to get to that one :(

Hi
thanks for the replies so far - I've tried to light with matches directly to the pilot, no luck -I cant hear or smell any gas coming out. Does it sound if it is Ollski's inlet valve operating pin is in the wrong position, or the thermo couple? I hope i can get someone willing to fix a Saunier to visit - any recommendations appreciated
thanks
chris

chrisww said:
Hi
thanks for the replies so far - I've tried to light with matches directly to the pilot, no luck -I cant hear or smell any gas coming out. Does it sound if it is Ollski's inlet valve operating pin is in the wrong position, or the thermo couple? I hope i can get someone willing to fix a Saunier to visit - any recommendations appreciated
thanks
chris

You could try British Gas on call assistance, if they can fix it the fixed cost is 144.00, if they can't then its nothing. Seeing as you only blew the pilot out it will probably be a blockage as mentioned.

any recommendations appreciated
Agile (Tony)? He did drop a heavy hint by mentioning that they'd repaired another SD in Paddington, but you didn't pick up on it! :rolleyes: His email is in his profile.

You aren't looking at thermocouple because it would light and then go out, as stated pilot jet is most likely culpret.

Thanks for all the advice, I now understand the boiler better. Through a neighbour advice, have got someone local coming round to have a look hopefully - he says he experienced with the make and as there does seem to be a few around here as Tony has mentioned. Must have been the same building developer in the area got a job lot of them in the 80's! Will let you know what problem was if he can fix it!
cheers
chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back