pipe sizing help please!

The strange thing is that I did some calculations - but I don't know whether they're valid, nor what they mean, 'cos I'm not an RGI ;)

And yet the op took these at face value. Bit worrying that he didn't ask my credentials :eek:

I checked your credentials, and i found you used to be rock hudsons hair dressser :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The strange thing is that I did some calculations - but I don't know whether they're valid, nor what they mean, 'cos I'm not an RGI ;)

And yet the op took these at face value. Bit worrying that he didn't ask my credentials :eek:

I checked your credentials, and i found you used to be rock hudsons hair dressser :LOL:
Shirt lifter :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

im stuck on a job a few miles from home, i havnt got any books here, can anyone please help??
im about to commission this vaillant 438, ive connected it up to an old restrictor elbow about 6 meters away with a nice shiny bit of 8mm chrome. looks a treat and the people are over the moon but i cant remember how to check my joints arnt leaking? please help, im at my whits end, if i just wrap gaffa tape around the joints do you think it'll be ok?? what a clumsy oaf i am for forgetting probably the most important things i'll ever own. i really am corgi registered, promise.

Sponsored Links
im stuck on a job a few miles from home, i havnt got any books here, can anyone please help??
im about to commission this vaillant 438, ive connected it up to an old restrictor elbow about 6 meters away with a nice shiny bit of 8mm chrome. looks a treat and the people are over the moon but i cant remember how to check my joints arnt leaking? please help, im at my whits end, if i just wrap gaffa tape around the joints do you think it'll be ok?? what a clumsy oaf i am for forgetting probably the most important things i'll ever own. i really am corgi registered, promise.
Huh! If you were a real RGI, I wouldn't have to tell you that you close leaks with closure tape.

id lend you mine, if i had any.
I've got one - Jeffrey Archer, if that's any good to you?

Anyway, if you look at the ops profile, it seems he's been working in London fitting gas meters - if this is the case then he must surely have some gas qualifications, but I guess he's significantly out of practice of any other installation work.

Having said that' I'd sort of hope that you pros would know where to look things up without resorting to a diy forum.

Finally, out of idle curiousity, how good were the calcs I performed earlier (used tables and method from RD Treloar nvq 2&3 plumbing book)? :rolleyes:

...Finally, out of idle curiousity, how good were the calcs I performed earlier (used tables and method from RD Treloar nvq 2&3 plumbing book)? :rolleyes:
Your answer of 22 mm is correct. The gasrate is slightly off, probably the difference between net and gross, but you did better that the so called RGI.

...Anyway, if you look at the ops profile, it seems he's been working in London fitting gas meters - if this is the case then he must surely have some gas qualifications...
He may have somequalifications, but that does not make him a RGI.
He could well have core and meters, but not necessarily boilers. Even if he does, if he is working for a company under the company registration, it would be illegal to do jobs on the side.
You are a RGI when YOU are registered, not the company you work for. The very reason for having to work under supervision before becoming registered in your own right is lack of experience, like the op seems to display.

...Anyway, if you look at the ops profile, it seems he's been working in London fitting gas meters - if this is the case then he must surely have some gas qualifications...
He may have somequalifications, but that does not make him a RGI.
He could well have core and meters, but not necessarily boilers. Even if he does, if he is working for a company under the company registration, it would be illegal to do jobs on the side.
You are a RGI when YOU are registered, not the company you work for. The very reason for having to work under supervision before becoming registered in your own right is lack of experience, like the op seems to display.
This would definitely seem to be a case of installation for financial reward, in which case reg and HSE competence is mandatory. His profile seems to indicate he was corgi reg at the time, and was self employed so not under the company's umbrella, but I'm guessing ('cos I genuinely don't know) that this doesn't mean that he is competent at domestic installations from what you say. A bit like industrial electricians not being part P, and thus not permitted to certify domestic installations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back