Planning permission outside PD (more than 50% 2 storey)

I know that what we want can't be done within PD (as it's too big and the house has already been extended in '79 by 50% of the original footprint)

It's not the footprint of the house that matters; to be within p.d., you must not build over more than 50% of the curtilage area, discounting the original footprint of the house.

Sponsored Links
This is the layout from above, Hopefully my (rubbish!) additions in word make sense.....

Pictures-

House1 - The two big rectangle grey buildings are dutch barns (open-sided) straw barns, the L shaped brown roofed barn is an unrenovated cow byre (also straw) the smallest brown roof is our house.

House2 - the house without my annotation!

House3 - the 3 blue boxes are obviously joined together to make the house but I couldn't change the colour of the shapes so left a gap to distinguish them. The box nearest the road is the original 2 up 2 down cottage with an original footprint single story utility at the back. The other big block is the '79 extension and the smallest block is a back hall/porch (single story, flat roof) also added in '79.

Our plan is to build onto the bug '79 block, making it more of a square (from above).

Attachments

• house1.png
    house1.png
    782.5 KB · Views: 95
  • house2.png
    house2.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 90
  • house3.png
    house3.png
    499 KB · Views: 101
Is there a way I can find out how much of our land is the curtilage and how much is agricultural? Would it be as simple as taking off the land that used to be eligible for rural payments?

For the purposes of the GPDO, there is no hard-and-fast interpretation of 'curtilage'. There are appeal decisions going both ways concerning extensions to houses in large grounds. It seems to depend on individual inspectors' opinions.

Sponsored Links
While this opinion carries no legal weight, I think it would be reasonable to consider something like the area shown within the red boundary on the attached image as 'curtilage'

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 91

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back