Plaster or plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive removed all the old plaster from a room in my house, but I'm unsure whether to get it wet plastered in the traditional way, of get it plasterboard then skimmed? Does one have any advantage over the other for me, the home owner?

I guess plasterboard is easier for the plasterer to use, and maybe adds to the insulation? But I do prefer a solid wall for fixing things to.

The walls are in good order. Heres a photo of one of the walls, I shall be removing the picture rail..

IMG_6318_zpsafbe2be6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Im leaving the coving in place due to its age, and id prefer to leave the skirting in place as well.

If you are leaving both skirting and coving ,the easiest method would be float and set .Easier to keep the margins on skirting and coving.

Sponsored Links
According to me, getting you wall prepared with wet plaster will be better option. You do not need to spend more on repair for the long time.

Knock of all the coving, rails and skirting. Less time to paint, less money spent less work and ultra modern chic!

Yeah, I'd also go for the traditional way over plasterboard which has that nasty hollow sound when tapped. It's also an excellent insulator. Batten out the wall with 10mm strip wood and make sure it's as level as you can possibly get it and set them out at intervals as long as your feather edge allows (say 1m). This is what I've just done and the result is looking very good. I'm using hardwall, but I assume you'll use browning? Beware if you use hardwall, allow good ventilation because the stuff stinks like rotten eggs for some reason. Don't really want to use it again because of it. I adore the smell of plaster, but hardwall just makes me want to puke! :evil:. Good luck with it and make the best man win hehe (I'm halfway through my wall already (well not through it, but you know what i mean )) :LOL:

Have a look in my albums under "dabbing walls" l did a room similar to what you are doing and put dabs up to work from. I used bonding and you could get your datums for your dabs from the old plaster left on the top of you wall and the skirts. Hack it off when you have got your dabs on and just fill in a "bay"at a time ....

Everyman and his dog willg vie you a different answer. Plasterboard is easier to do so most builders/plasterers will push it onto you.

That said, I think a decent fit to the wall with lots of dots of adhesive is better than they used to do it.

I am pro wet plaster. the 3 primary reasons I have considered going plasterboard is (this is what experts have told me)

- if you have a central heating pipe in hardwall it may crack

-if the wall cracks it will come through hardwall (maybe more apropriate for new builds which settle?

- hardwall may cost more overall as labour intensive - this may be an issue if having multiple rooms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back