Plasterboard or MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

A quick piece of advice if I may.

I am planinng on putting up a small partition wall to create a 9ft x 9ft box in one corner of our garage to house a model railway.

I don't want to really both with plastering the walls as it is only the garage and cosmetically there is no need. I am presuming that I cannot simply put up plasterboard and paint it without plastering it.

Should I use something else rather than plasterboard, like MDF panels instead.

Any thoughts please on the best and most cost effective way to create this space.

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
You can paint plasterboard without plastering.

Your choice really, plasterboard is warmer but easily dents as it's a softer material or MDF is stronger and cold but you can fit shelves or what ever with MDF, if you do use plasterboard then make sure the noggins are in the right place for fixings

I'd be tempted by marine ply TBH. Being a garage it's likely to be cold and damp and plasterboard will be easily affected by this. If it was skimmed then it would be be better but if not then it will probably deteriorate.

Marine ply will resist moisture. Unsure about MDF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back