Plasterboarding over a window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking for some help please.

This might sound a stupid question, but I am just wondering if the following is a feasible idea or if it would be breaking any building regulations.

I want to fit an over bath shower in my bathroom but there is a ledge and window in the way which would need to be boarded over. I was planning on just building upwards from the ledge so that there is a stud wall blocking the window approx 6 inches in front of it.

Would this be a feasible solution or would it be against building regulations or would I have to brick up the window to do this? If so what would the likely cost be of bricking up a window?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I know there wouldn't be anything stopping you doing as you intend.
One point however, is this window used for ventilation in the bathroom ? If it is then you may have to put in some other form of vent.
Another alternative may be to use glass bricks such as these- http://www.simplyglassblocks.co.uk/ so you still retain some light into the room. A quick look at the shop section of that site gives prices from £2.99 to about £20 a block so not too expensive at all really. It also means that you could just leave the exsisting window in place and not have to mess around with the outside aspects.
Funnily enough I did a similiar thing in my old house. The window in question wasn't above the shower or bath but became redundant when a small extenstion was put up. I simply plaster boarded the outside (i.e. inside the new extenstion) and fixed a thin sheet of mdf to the inside and turned it into a shallow wall cupboard.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back