Plastering my bedroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am plastering my bedroom wall using multifinish.
Whats the process:
1 coat then wait for about 12 minutes and second coat is that correct? and also how about polishing the wall when should I do this?

Can some one let me know whats the right process of plastering and polishing.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Multi finish is skim plaster, and normally only goes on in one coat of 3-5mm

Sponsored Links
Two coats minimum..... Since always. ;)...... Years ago, we used to put on "3" coats of finish, ,,, 1 st. coat, setting trowel, 2nd coat, setting float (a wooden float made from yellow pine) 3rd coat, setting trowel.

Roughcaster.

Well, I've never ever seen two coats of skim go on a wall or ceiling in new build, and never seen two coats on damaged older plaster whenever I've had the neccesity to look.

And a quick glance through various guides and text does not mention two coats anywhere - it's either one coat on boards or one coat on a base coat.

So this is a bit of a relevation!

He comes from Brum, Nose, where the "rustic" finish is de rigeur, since always... :LOL:

Starting from bare wall ? or old plaster?.

Bare wall easier to dry line then skim one coat board finnish.
Old plaster pva first to give new plaster something to stick to otherwise will just crack/craze.Then just skim with multi finnish .( times out of ten i'd dry line warmer walls easpecially on old houses)

My old teacher always said two thin finish coats of skim are better than one thick, however he didn't specify one thick what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back