Plastic mounting box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the cover to a double socket plastic mounting box. Unfortunately the thread through which the fixing screw goes snapped (I don't know how!). The thread seems to be part of a plastic section separate from the actual mountiong box. It slides along inside the box. Is it possible to replace just this or do I have to replace the whole thing. Please note this is tiled in front and so it will be a hassle to replace the whole mounting box.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a dry lining box,

you can usually get the plastic bits out by pushing them right to the back and then sliding sideways, but whether you will find a replacement that will fit is doubtfull.

Any ideas where I could look for a replacement? b & Q is the only place I know that sells that sort of stuff. are there any other types of shops i should look out for?

Can you post us a picture of the snapped lug or the box? We should be able to tell you the make of the box from this, and maybe where to get a replacement from. Different manufacturers lugs will not fit each others boxes but if you can get one of the same make then it should just be a direct replacement.

Sponsored Links
Ok, will try later when I can get hold of my digital camera. Will post it later. Cheers.

I have taken some pics of the lug and box. Both with and without lug attached. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement lug (or even the whole box with lugs that I can use them for this box. I'd rather pay more than take the tiles off!) then please tell me. Any help would be great.

Just click on this link to see photos;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29562360@N00/?saved=1

If the link doesn't work just tell me.

a couple of other possibilites if you fail to find a supplier that sells boxes that match to take the lug from.

try and find another identical box in a place where it hasn't been tiled over (dryline boxes are generally pretty easy to remove) and replace it. Then use one of the lugs from it to fix your tiled over box

yet another possibility would be to get a peice of M3.5 round threaded stud and glue it into the existing plastic lug mount with some araldite

A good idea plugwash. I don't think I will find one though as another socket I changed was a metal mounting box, not plastic. Any way here's hoping someone can identify the one in the pics.
I will cross my fingers and hope someone can tell me who the ones in the pic are made by, see link below;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29562360@N00/?saved=1

i like the araldite idea. Do you reckon i could use the old thread? it's still intact its just the plastic housing that is split.

Mws1 said:
A good idea plugwash. I don't think I will find one though as another socket I changed was a metal mounting box, not plastic.
generally metal boxes are used in solid walls, dryline boxes like the one you are trying to fix in plasterboard partitions.

Mws1 said:
i like the araldite idea. Do you reckon i could use the old thread? it's still intact its just the plastic housing that is split.
can't see any reason why not if its still intact, only think is its a bit short from front-back so you'll have to be very carefull when doing it not to get glue on the inside of the thread.

[generally metal boxes are used in solid walls, dryline boxes like the one you are trying to fix in plasterboard partitions.]

Ok. I think if no one gets back to me about what type of lug it is by tomorrow night I will give the araldite a go. If that doesn't work then I shall be found tapping all the walls in my flat to work out what they are made of!
Cheers plugwash. I appreciate the advice.[/quote]

Gosh, one of those dry liners you were after has just come up on Fleabay. How wierd is that? Click Here

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You shark, you!!

But seriously, I think Deta brand are an identical style. Worth a look..

I had picked up one of those CED boxes already, sorry RF Lighting. Unfortunately it doesn't fit even though it looks like it should. However, I do have good news. I think I worked out the manufacturere (BG) and all I need to do now is get to a electfrical parts seller to buy it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back