Plastic/PVC garages - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the Hanson garage I bought likely to have to be sent back and the MDs assurances that no sectional concrete garage is ever going to be weather proof, I'm thinking of a plastic/PVC garage instead. Does anyone know whether these are any good?

I cannot go for brick built and need a garage that will not leak.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that it wouldn't. Unfortunately I cannot have a brick built garage, budget, planning et al.

I have a concrete garage that has been problematic for the 7 months since it was erected, hence looking at the possibility of a plastic/PVC replacement.

The problems you are having are all fixable. Care to share?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that it wouldn't. Unfortunately I cannot have a brick built garage, budget, planning et al.

I have a concrete garage that has been problematic for the 7 months since it was erected, hence looking at the possibility of a plastic/PVC replacement.

you said it would make your mind up

The problems you are having are all fixable. Care to share?

The problems should all be fixable, however Hansons are reluctant to do so due, according to their MD, to the 'fact' that sectional garages are not leak proof.

Thus far I have had a number of panels replaced due to internal cracks, dishing, corners knocked off and just plain old water soaks through them.

The roof was replaced with a felt lined metal roof, with the felt left complete. This wicks the rainwater from the end where it should drip into the gutter up and into the garage.

The cement fillet has started to leak again. Last time it got to the stage that water was sitting on the surface. I thought that this had been fixed, but it's back again.

At at the point I made the OP, the last I had heard from Hansons indicated that they were not interested in trying to fix the leaks. In fairness, I should say that having pointed out the difference between condensation and rain and passing on the advice from the roofing manufacturer that a 3 inch strip of felt needs to be removed to prevent wicking, especially on shallow pitched roofs, I have received an email today saying that Hansons will call to arrange for this strip to be removed.
(of course they could have done this when they installed the roof. Their guys did say that as the strip had not been removed, that they would be back).

If it continues to leak I think it is time to call it a day and will replace it.

you said it would make your mind up

Where did I say that a brick built garage would leak?

What I said was "I cannot go for brick built and need a garage that will not leak." To me at least, that means that because I cannot have a brick built garage, I need to find something else that does not leak.

I know loads of people with sectional garages and none leak.

the garage you have got must have been put together by a cowboy

I know loads of people with sectional garages and none leak.

Yes I have known quite a lot who have had them without problem too. However none of them were brand new, so difficult to know whether they were waterproofed etc by their original owners.

It is difficult to argue the case when it's the MD of a sectional garage company that is saying they cannot be waterproof.
Logically, they are all going to be, who wants a garage that leaks?

I would guess that MD cannot guarantee that a sectional garage is waterproof, but at he very least it should be weatherproof. If it's installed correctly the main building should be waterproof. In my experience it's the corrugated roofs that tend to become the issue with either leaks or condensation.

I would guess that MD cannot guarantee that a sectional garage is waterproof, but at he very least it should be weatherproof. If it's installed correctly the main building should be waterproof. In my experience it's the corrugated roofs that tend to become the issue with either leaks or condensation.

Yes, I agree. He is, however, saying that expecting the roof, walls and fillet not to allow any water in is unreasonable. My view is that if it is installed correctly, then it shouldn't leak or wick water from outside in!

With the original roof he kept saying that this type of roof takes times to dry out and that I had to expect to see damp patches until it did. The dampness around the roof fastenings were clearly a case of them not being sealed properly. Had it just been the roof sheets taking time to cure, they wouldn't have got progressively worse.

The really annoying thing is that the workers who come out know what the problems are, e.g. the Commercial Manager knew that the fillet leaked because domestic teams are told to just use cement and no PVA. The commercial buildings always have PVA painted on the surfaces, then a good PVA / cement mix to make the fillet. When they did this, on the third fillet, it stopped leaking. Well at least until recently after they had replaced several wall panels that were cracked.

Similarly, when they changed the roof, the installers said that it should have a 3" strip of felt removed, but that Hansons don't do it, because sometimes it's OK, or just needs some varnish painted on to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back