Plastic vs Copper (yes, that old chestnut)

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering replacing a load of 8mm microbore heating pipework in my house with new 10mm copper stuff. It has been suggested to me though that I'd be better using 15mm plastic (with push fit fittings).

Running proper 15mm copper is not easily an option as I would have to lift huge areas of floorboards to run it.

I've owned couple of properties that used plastic pipework throughout (with no problems) so I'm fairly happy with the idea of using plastic myself but thought I'd seek opinion.

iep

Sponsored Links
I'm considering replacing a load of 8mm microbore heating pipework in my house with new 10mm copper stuff. It has been suggested to me though that I'd be better using 15mm plastic (with push fit fittings).

Running proper 15mm copper is not easily an option as I would have to lift huge areas of floorboards to run it.

I've owned couple of properties that used plastic pipework throughout (with no problems) so I'm fairly happy with the idea of using plastic myself but thought I'd seek opinion.

iep

if it is not an easy option but it is possible i would stick with copper and take an hour or so longer for a better job, if you mean access isnt possible without destroying the place then plastic is and always will be second best but it is horses for courses

Yes, access is the issue. Running 15mm copper would mean wrecking the floor. I can cut the occasional access point for the purpose of running microbore of plastic but that is about my only option.

To clarify on your advice, you absolutely rate plastic over 10mm microbore?

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back