please help me

Sponsored Links
fattony said:
You could help him out lads, thats what this is all about.

I cant help belfast without more info but I can help you.

fattony said:
Sockets must be wired from the existing ring main (existing sockets) using a 2.5mm Twin & Earth cable.

Its called a ring final circuit not a ring main. You can also wire sockets from a radial and you can use any type of cable you choose as long as it's suitably sized and if required mechanically protected

fattony said:
You would need to establish if the socket your cutting into is on a ring or a spur, If there is just one cable at the socket you plan on cutting into then its likely its a spur and you should find an alternative socket as you are only supposed to spur once.

You don't normally cut into a socket to add more because the socket and cabling is normally buried in the wall. You normally cut into the cable feeding the socket at some point near where you want you new one so you will always have 2 ends even if it's a spur.

fattony said:
When you find a socket with 2 cables you need to check its on the ring, first isolate the supply by removing the fuse switching off the mcb, then disconnect the cables from the socket. Using a multimeter (set on ohms) put one lead of the meter on one of the reds and the other lead on the other red. If this is on the ring then you should get a reading like 0.10 ohm.

As the belfast asked if connecting a socket to a light switch was allowed it's unlikely that belfast will have a dmm to hand.

I hope this helps

:evil: Cor got out of bed on the wrong side, ring main is slang for ring final circuit, i don't suppose the people making posts asking how to wire a socket gives a f**k. Its the same thing or are you just trying to show off with technical terms??

Correct you would normally cut the cable feeding the socket I was just giving him an idea on how it should be wired, depending on how good you are you can get another cable into the backbox ;)

Again correct you will have 2 ends even if your cutting into a spur and belfast can buy a multimeter for less the £10 if he really wanted to.

So thanks but no thanks I don't want you help.

;):cool:

Cor got out of bed on the wrong side

:evil:

I suppose I was a bit hard on you ;) . I just don't' like pro's calling them ring mains because there not. Quite a few people also call time switches time clocks which is another one of my pet hates. All clocks are time clocks. We use time switches. One day you may have to teach others your skills and then you will understand where I'm coming from.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, I do teach people my skills but know there is a time and a place :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back