please help, roof a total disaster

Sponsored Links
Ah ok , I thought you were perhaps a roofer and could comment on the way the roof has been left. No worries though and thanks for your input so far!

That's the trouble with diyers 'helping' with other peoples problems. It should be noted weather the person is a tradesman's or not!

Andy

I can't find him on any companies House or registered for tac anywhere. He insisted on cash from me. Every penny. I know , I know. .

He is absolutely all over social media though and with good reviews too , hence my choosing him. I think he does have it in him to be a decent builder , but he is not a roofer, clearly.

If he hasn't officially registered his company I am guessing there is little I can do. He refers to himself online as the 'premier building company' for our city. Jeez
Not a roofer, so I can't comment on pictures, although the lead work especially looks awful.
It's a misconception that you can't do anything if someone hasn't got a registered company.
To the contrary, limited companies are scammers heaven because as soon as you start legal proceedings against them, they simply shut down and reopen next day under a different name.
Instead, individuals cannot shut down.
So you're in a better position than you think.
As someone mentioned, deciding to take legal actions needs to be balanced against the possibility of recovering money if you win.
These guys usually have no assets in their name and...you can't squeeze water out of a stone.
However, for a moral victory you could sue him and if you win (very likely if the work is substandard) you would send the court enforcement to his address and see if anything can be squeezed out of him.
If not, you could apply for his bankruptcy and cause him 6 years of trouble where he won't be able to get even a mobile phone on a monthly plan.
Then if you're lucky and he owns a property or a nice car somewhere, you could get your money back.
Bottom line: if he had a "proper company" you would be definitely at a loss and he would be in the clear 100%.
Him being a sole trader, you have some (slim) hope to recover something or at least cause him some financial trouble.

Sponsored Links
The tiles are Redland Grovebury minimum pitch would be 15 degrees at 100 mm head lap.
They have kept the headlap to 100mm plus (a good point)
Its not uncommon to have to fit a batten on top of the fascia to keep the tiles in the correct plain. However not on top of the underlay and should have underlay support trays
Ridge work needs attention , like lifting and re bedding and never put a tiny cut at the end of any run.
Leads untidy and not a lot of use.

Thanks so much datarebal.
I managed to get one of the tiles off and it says 'condron' on the back. I looked these up and it's an Irish brand. As condron is only the brand, I asked the builder to specify which type of condron it was , but he won't disclose. I checked their website and they have no tile suitable for a low pitch of 12.5

Do you think this whole roof needs to come off as per my first quote of 4k? I'm Manchester based.

I am trying to go for the least intrusive Nas expensive option.

Yes condron is Irish, very similar to Grovebury and Mendips. TBH id prefer the Redland or Condron. personal preference

They wont be speced for 12.5 but nor will mendips

Yours -

420 x 330mm
Coverage 9.7 tiles per metre squared (75mm). 10.4 tiles per metre squared (100mm).
Min Pitch Smooth 30 ° (75mm headlap). 17.5 ° (100mm headlap).
Min Pitch Granular
Min Headlap 75mm (min). 100mm (max).
Batten Guage 345mm (max)
Weight 4.5kg
Nails and Fixings 75 x 3.35

Thanks. Pretty sure builder got them from Burton's?!

So if he chose a tile that was not specified on drawings then he has failed to follow drawings. He also lied to me as a layperson by saying they were suitable as I trusted he would not be so foolish to use unsuitable ones on a low pitch roof. No wonder he has blocked me.

You say marleys aren't suitable but my spec called for Marley Mendips which are suitable for a 12.5 degree roof?

What exactly is the wording on the spec

The reason I ask is you have Mendips, Or Mendip 12.5 not many will know that

The builder actually said to me when I first spotted the ingress that I should expect it with such a low pitched roof.
At no point during the design of the roof Di the architect say that could expect water on a 12.5 roof, and at no point did the builder say it was an issue when he took on the job.
I know lots of people with low pitched roofs and they don't leak. Clearly he is not a roofer and I live to regret it massively

The builder actually said to me when I first spotted the ingress that I should expect it with such a low pitched roof.
Ha.

Reminds me of a plumber on a job installing pipework that leaked through a ceiling in several places. He said "Show me a plumber that has never had pipework leak". I said "find one yourself" as I threw him off the job. Lol.

No you should not expect any roof to leak.

Lol , I despair at the people who are out there calling themselves professionals of their trade. The ripple effects on people's lives can be huge. At least you had the foresight to throw him out. I wish I had!

You're right though. I know a higher pitch is always more preferable but it was that or a flat one and my architect assured me it was entirely possible with the correct materials and attention to detail. I got neither of those in this cowboy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back