please help, roof a total disaster

fwiw low pitches have been covered on this site a lot.
all is not lost , I would expect a good roofer would make yours work.
The issues are detailing
4000 is pee taking

Sponsored Links
Oh is it? I really need some guidance on the way forward. And what I can expect to pay. I really have no capacity to get taken advantage of again.

£4k seems too much, and the £1.8k may be a bit cheap. Although both itemisations of the work are very similar in what they will do, but the first one is more detailed and does mention adjusting the roof windows and other cavity trays, verge and specifies the type of lead.

The second does not mention the rooflights. You may want to clarify.

From the sound of it it would be between £2 - 3k, but it depends on the messing about and access

Sponsored Links
Hey, I didn’t read everything here thoroughly, and I’m not an experienced builder…

..but this might help..

there is a membrane called Klober Permo Extreme. It allows normal tiles to be used on very shallow pitched roofs.

the plus side is you wouldn’t necessarily need to rebuild the pitch or change the tiles for it to pass building control. This is because the membrane counts as the primary cover. I asked my inspector and he confirmed.

downside is for underlay, it is expensive, but if you’re paying for labour then i imagine it’d be substantially cheaper overall.

thought it would be worth mentioning.

Thank you so much , and to everyone else actually. That's an amazing piece of info about the membrane !

Well it was designed to be 12.5 degrees but crap builder didn't achieve that in most parts of the roof. I wonder if I can use this product as well as raising the pitch , sort of like a double insurance?

Well it was designed to be 12.5 degrees but crap builder didn't achieve that in most parts of the roof. I wonder if I can use this product as well as raising the pitch , sort of like a double insurance?
If you use fillets to get the thing to 12.5 then BCO will probably accept your posh membrane and your wrong tiles.

Thanks - yes fillets and I will probably change tiles to the ones specified on the drawings anyway. Want no shortcuts this time. My worry is the velux. He used the wrong flashing kit so that will have to be addressed somehow in the midst of it all

Thanks - yes fillets and I will probably change tiles to the ones specified on the drawings anyway. Want no shortcuts this time. My worry is the velux. He used the wrong flashing kit so that will have to be addressed somehow in the midst of it all
Prob best to bite the bullet and budget for the correct one for the pitch & tiles, if you don't & it starts playing up Velux will wash their hands of it

According to that minimum pitch is 12.5 degrees, so would not be accepted by building control
I agree; this membrane is to get normal tiles working at 12.5 deg.. not shallow pitched tiles working below 12.5deg..

my experience tho is it’ll probably pass with the fancy membrane and *close to* 12.5deg…

I'll be honest , even as a lay person , I could see my building control inspector fell far short of what I'd have expected. He missed loads of stuff. I have recently paid for a local building firm to do an overall report of the roof and build as I'm launching a claim against my dodgy builder. The report highlighted SO much stuff that building control missed. Brick out of plumb, wrong bricks used at the DPC , wrong sized facia on roof, wrong headlap on tiles , wrong velux used , wrong pitch on roof. I don't actually know what I paid £600 for with building control. They picked up nothing.
So for that reason, I don't want to just 'pass'. I really want a long term solution that will make my home the design that I paid for , and watertight for years to come. So if I'm able to use this kind of membrane as well as correct tiles and raise pitch, I'll do it. I just need to find someone who knows what they're doing and recover some of the costs of it from that cowboy

Building control aren't (alas) meant to be any sort of quality control on your project. They should pick up gross fails (no foundations, no adequate supporting structures, no insulation) but will very likely miss important detail stuff (like roof pitch v tiles, flashing kit). Annoyingly, you are reliant on your tradesperson to do the job properly so it is absolutely vital to get good ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back