Plumbing quote... ok?

It seems your tradesman has allowed extra on all his materials to allow for the trouble of travelling to stores queuing etc, which is fair enough.
You are paying for his time and trouble:cool:

Sponsored Links
Seems cheap to me for a bathroom fit out, bathrooms can cost from £3,000.00 - £20,000 for a good job, if you want cheap do it yourself

the reason that quotes are set out with the price + Vat is because the tradesman is showing what his charges are, the Vat is the Governments charge not the tradesmans

Heather the tile price will not just be for tiles. It will include tiles, cement, grout and primer. The moment you start supplying the materials, things start to get tricky. What will you do if the tiles are a mismatch, broken when the box is opened, tile cement is not suitable and metrials are short or do not appear on site when needed. Do expect him to bill you for time wasted. Furthermore he will not be responsible for material you supply

I would not be surprised if he not already p*ss*d off, so might not even want to take on the job.

When it comes to doing estimates, a tradesperson (especially sole trader) esentially does work for zero when his quote is not accepted. A fair playing field would be the one where every quote was for a specific job and material and was chargeable.

I think you are getting a bargain. I have done quite a few bathrooms and its hard graft. I have a friend who paid £10,000 for his small bathroom consisting of sink, basin and bath, ok its tiles from floor to ceiling but it looks mediocre to me.

I would let him supply the tiles unless you have your heart set on one style. What if the ones you supply don't cut easily etc.

If he does a good job the man's a saint.

Sponsored Links
Lots of great advice, thank you.

You think it is a good price then even though it is a small bathroom?

Thanks again :D

I know it's annoying but vat is nothing to do with the man doing the job, he is only an unpaid tax collecter, showing vat seperate is showing people how much the govmnt is ripping you off for, something that watchdog and the media dont seem to have the bottle to take on, they only go for the easy target.

It's funny everyone said £1800 + VAT is cheap for doing small bathroom. From details it seems the guy wants almost £1200 for what, about a week worth of work? Does any of you who said it's cheap generate that much money a week from your line of work? Damn, I'm in the wrong trade...

Yep, yep and yep, but nobody wanted to swop when I was an apprentice on freezing cold sites up to my ankels in heavy mud and no toilets, and we used to do all the glazing and leadwork in all weathers, first fixing in draughty half built houses with no windows, 50 house all exactly the same, BORING HECK, looks like it all paid off now, 4 years at college day release plus welding, 3 nights a week, and dont even get me started on ACOPS and ACS ;)

How much do all you plumbers charge for just fitting a replacment bathroon suite, you know take one out put a new one in, some pipe work may be needed. reading the quotes i thinki do a good deal £350.00.

If customer supplies suite and it's a straight in and out 1.5 days £375.00 including disposeing of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back